Radiography is the scientific technique for producing internal images of objects obtained with the controlled use of radiations. Medical imaging can be classified into two broad kinds- Diagnostic medical imaging and industrial radiography.
An X-Ray Technician is a health care professional skilled in the theory and practice of the technical aspects of the use of x–rays and radioisotopes in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Aside from that, a career in radiography includes other medical opportunities as well. You can pursue digital imaging specializations such as mammography, sonography, MRI Technology, Computed Tomography (CT), fluoroscopy, nuclear medicine, and more.
Imaging technology advances fast, putting radiologic technologists at the forefront of healthcare innovation. In fact, the reports of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics project a minimum 7% increase in the overall demand for Radiologic Technologists over the span of 2019-2029.
And with the aid of modern technology, pursuing a career in radiography has been made convenient and accessible. You can easily research diagnostic imaging classes such as an x-ray or online ultrasound course.
So, if you are also someone aspiring to establish a career as a radiography technician, then here are some of the best X-Ray technician online courses you can take up.
List of 10 X-Ray Technician Online Courses
This master class on Radiography is specially intended to provide learners with detailed knowledge of radiography. Industry experts have curated this online course on radiography for both part-time and full-time students to help accelerate their careers. This online course is accredited by IOA and comes with a certificate upon completion. If you’re looking forward to enhancing your professional skills and gain some in-depth knowledge of radiography, then you should enroll in this course right away!
- Get introduced to Radiographic Science, know what it is, and how it functions.
- Know the history and evolution of radiography and the development of x-rays.
- Learn about radiobiology and radiological physics.
- Get to know about radiation protection and why is it necessary.
- Know more about digital radiographic imaging and recent developments around it.
- Study dental radiography in detail along with understanding the radiography of various body parts.
Duration – 3 hours
Rating – 4/5
2. Introduction to Biomedical Imaging – EdX
The University of Queensland offers this medical imaging course. Get introduced to biomedical imaging and learn about modern imaging modalities by enrolling in this online course and know how the medical imaging technologies are well-integrated. This course covers topics ranging from the basic to advanced level, which will help you develop professional skills. You’ll also get introduced to neurological diseases and cancers.
- Know the basic principles of modalities, what happens in an imaging process, why it is required, and why it happens.
- Get introduced to biomedical imaging and know the imaging terminologies.
- Learn about x-rays, MRIs, CTs, SPECTSs, and ultrasounds in detail.
- Learn the construction and visualization of images.
- Learn how the most suitable modality is selected for a given case.
- Know how primary advice is given on imaging modalities.
- Learn the advanced principles of image post-processing.
- Know what is the patient’s experience during imaging for a medical condition.
Duration – 12 weeks
Rating – 4.5/5
3. Radiography – Academy for Health and Fitness, UK
This course on Radiography is offered by the Academy for Health and Fitness, UK. This course is designed to give you knowledge about various aspects of radiography and develop your skills around it. It offers valuable and enriching training that will help you enhance your knowledge and grow professionally. Complete this online course accredited by CPD, CMA, and IOA, and earn an e-certificate instantly. This course is spread into seven modules to give you a detailed understanding of various concepts of radiography.
- Get introduced to radiographic science, its process, and history.
- Study the development and evolution of modern imaging technology.
- Study about X-rays, radiographic imaging, their characteristics, and techniques.
- Know how digital imaging has developed and how the quality of radiographic images has improved.
- Study the Law of Bergonie and Tribondeau and learn about human radiation responding.
- Study radiological physics, radiosensitivity, and molecular radiobiology.
- Study the effect of radiation on DNA, how it is detected and measured.
- Learn about radiation protection, its cardinal principles, and effective dosage.
Duration – 3 hours
Rating – 4.2/5
4. Fundamentals of Biomedical Imaging: Ultrasounds, X-ray, PET and Applications – EdX
This course is offered by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, EPFL. This course on the fundamentals of biomedical imaging covers major biomedical imaging modalities through basic principles of science. This online certificate course is filled with practical examples to offer a better understanding of the topic. Various X-ray imaging techniques and techniques of Computed Tomography, Positron Emission Tomography, and Emission Tomography are taught in this course.
- Learn about the main concepts of imaging and get an introduction to radiography.
- Know what characterizes the quality of imaging techniques for SNR and CNR and understand its main components.
- Learn about some of the most important principles of X-ray imaging, ultrasound, PET, SPET, and CT.
- Learn the techniques for the above imaging and know what factors limit the image quality.
- Know how you can recognize the imaging technique used for a given image and analyze typical applications.
Duration – 7 weeks
Rating – 4.2/5
5. UK Dr/Nurse skill Diploma: ABG, ACLS, BLS, X-ray, ECG – Udemy
Next is a course aimed at equipping you with new skills by enhancing your knowledge around ABG, BLS, ECG, X-rays, and ACLS. This online course taught by a Certified EP specialist is perfect for physicians, technicians, and interested students who look forward to enhancing their skills in various aspects of radiography and cardiac life support. Complete this course at your pace to become proficient with technical skills and earn a shareable certificate alongside.
- Know about Chest X-rays for lungs and cardiac diseases with the help of examples.
- Learn about arterial blood gas examination and analysis along with a practical testing example.
- Know about Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, BLS, PALS, and ACLS in detail.
- Learn the basics of Echocardiogram (ECG), beta-blockers for cardiology, and anti-arrhythmic drugs.
Duration – 6.5 hours
Rating – 3.8/5
6. Online Radiography Course
This radiography course offers comprehensive learning of the topic. You will learn everything in detail from the basics and develop professional skills. This online course will not only enhance your existing knowledge but help you expand the same. This course will train you to become an expert in the field of radiography and, you will also earn a certificate upon completion. Learn the skills required to succeed in this profession and enhance your knowledge by completing this detailed course. So learn at your own pace and upgrade to the next level in your career.
- Know what is Radiographic Science, what its components are, and how it has developed over time.
- Study radiological physics and radiobiology, and health effects of radiation.
- Learn about Radiation Protection, what it is, why it is necessary, and how it should be done.
- Know about Digital Radiographic Imaging.
- Study dental radiography and learn about the radiography of different parts of the body.
Duration – 3 hours
Rating – 4/5
7. X-Ray Technician / Medical Assistant
This course on X-ray technicians is offered by Modern Technology School’s Orange County. This course also includes internship training to provide you job-like experience in real x-ray labs. This course further covers the National Medical Assisting Certification examination. Enroll in this course to be able to give ethical patient care, become clinically competent by acquiring knowledge, and develop critical skills. Learn from industry experts and professionals working in this field and enhance your skills.
- Learn about the components of radiographic equipment, its uses, how to use and handle the same.
- Know the factors of X-ray exposure, components of x-ray films and screens, varying effects of x-ray exposure, and x-ray film processing.
- Know how x-ray exposure is performed and its effects on radiographic phantom body parts.
- Learn the anatomy of the spine, respiratory system and thorax, shoulder, pelvis, hips, and appendicular skeleton and build positioning skills with the help of x-ray tables and tubes.
- Learn about digital radiography, its uses, components, and functions. Also, know how various units and components are compared.
- Learn about gross human anatomy, medical terminologies related to x-ray technology, and the primary patient care process.
- Know the physics of and its relationship with producing x-rays. Know the various components of an x-ray tube, electromagnetism, and electrical circuits, along with their functions.
Duration – Self-paced
Rating – 4.7/5
8. Introduction to Medical Imaging – Udemy
This course on introduction to medical imaging will cover common imaging methods like x-ray, CT, MRI, and ultrasound, which are widely used nowadays. It will also discuss emerging techniques, such as photoacoustic imaging. You will also learn the principles, and applications of each imaging modality in interactive lectures. This course is a perfect beginner’s guide into medical imaging systems.
- Learn about the common uses of CT, X-ray, MRI, Ultrasound, and photoacoustic imaging, and know how they are carried out.
- Learn the fundamentals of medical imaging systems and master them with in-depth knowledge about the same.
- Know about the different methods of imaging and the primary advantages and disadvantages of each method.
- Gain expertise in clinical programs of medical imaging.
Duration – 4 hours
Rating – 4.2/5
9. Graduate Certificate in Radiography
The University of Wollongong Australia offers this course on radiography. In this course, students will learn about the underlying core principles essential in radiography. This course will provide you with an understanding of radiology and it will also cover medical and industrial imaging. Enroll in this online course to enhance your knowledge about radiobiology, radiation protection, develop professional skills, and learn ethics and professionalism.
- Know about radiographic imaging, its evolution with time, techniques, terminologies, image quality characterization, and technologies.
- Learn about various kinds of radiations and their impact on biological and physical materials.
- Know the image formation physics of x-rays and learn how to evaluate image quality from different imaging methods.
- Understand the characteristics of the various imaging methods- CT, X-ray radiography, MRI, and ultrasound.
- Know about the different procedures of radiation protection, radiation therapy, and radiographic imaging in detail.
Duration – 1 year
Rating – 4.2/5
10. Radiology Master class: Chest X-Ray
This course on radiology focuses, especially on chest x-rays. This course will teach you about the visible structures of the chest and how you can check those by looking at a chest x-ray image. You will also learn the chest x-ray anatomy. This course discusses the importance of following a systematic approach for viewing chest x-rays so that no vital structures are ignored. It teaches the need for having a flexible approach to suit each case. You can also develop your systematic way of viewing and studying chest x-rays by enrolling in this course.
- Learn how anatomical structures should be systematically viewed and the visible ones should be assessed on every chest x-ray.
- Know about those anatomical structures that are obscured or become visible only when abnormal.
- Know how to interpret the image by understanding the radiological anatomy of the chest.
- Know what life-threatening complications can arise due to placement and misplacement of medical devices.
- Know what contributes to image quality like projection, anatomical inclusion, rotation, artifact, and penetration and its effect on imaging.
- Learn the major principles of chest X-ray quality and the limitations of radiological imaging techniques.
Duration – Self-paced
Rating – 4/5
Recommended Video: Work day in my life! (clinic xray tech)
Recommended Online Courses:
- 10 Most Popular Ivy League Online Courses in 2021
- 10 Top Veterinary Technician Online Courses & Certifications in 2021
- 15 Best Free Online CME and Credits for Physicians
Choosing The Best Program
When choosing an online course to sign up for, make sure that you take the time to check the topics and learnings covered by the program and the quality of education the provider is offering. It is also ideal that you read reviews and feedback of the program you’re eyeing, to determine if the course is valuable in helping you gain knowledge of the matter. Additionally, you can also factor in if a program offers flexibility in terms of module rates and class schedules.
Continuous learning allows you to acquire additional certifications and credentials that can help boost your resume. That said, taking these courses can then pave the way towards a better career that may offer higher salary opportunities.