Recently, there has been a rise in the number of pets per household, which in turn has led to an increase in the need for professionals trained to look after their health. Veterinary technicians are those who are trained in specific aspects of animal medicine and help in the diagnosis and treatment of animal injuries and illnesses. Veterinary Technician Online Courses generally tell you how to assist expert veterinarians and clinical practitioners in their practice.
A Veterinary technician is required to have a thorough knowledge of animal health as he is an integral part of the animal healthcare system. With a projected growth rate of 16-20 per cent by 2029 in the field, now is a perfect time for you to pursue your vet tech training. A licensed veterinary technician can practice in a wide range of environments small and large animal veterinarians, animal shelter homes, zoos, wildlife facilities, or vet research centres.
List of The Best Veterinary Technician Online Courses
Here is a list of the best Veterinary Technician Online Courses and Certifications that can help you in learning the technicality of Veterinary.
1. Veterinary Technician Degree
This Veterinary Technician Degree is a fully accredited training program. This course will help you communicate better with animals, develop empathy towards them, and take better care of them. You will learn about the diverse field of laboratory animal medicine. Enrol in this course to know how veterinary technicians work with thorough knowledge of animal health.
- Get introduced to the terminology of animal science and medicine. Know the theories of various behaviours of animals and their specific characteristics.
- Know what skills are required to use essential tools that help in improving knowledge and becoming successful in the program.
- Know what is the role of a veterinary technician in treating animals and handling techniques for different animals.
- Know the different laws and codes applicable to veterinary technicians in dealing with animals.
- Learn about different species of animals, mammals, amphibians, and reptiles, and understand their anatomy and physiology.
- Gain laboratory experience through project work and observe the work of a veterinary technician.
Course Duration: Self Paced
2. Veterinary Technology
This is an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Veterinary Technology. It is developed for training veterinary technicians to assist industry experts. This course will teach you the skills and give knowledge needed to become a trained professional and develop a career in animal medicine. Become an efficient veterinary technologist working in medical centres and animal hospitals by completing this course.
- Learn new skills in animal health management and medicine.
- Get training on how to assist while testing animals in different situations.
- Become ready and prepared to pursue further education in veterinary medicine and technology.
- Know how to work with people who are experts in animal healthcare and persons interested in animal wellness.
- Become equipped with skills for animal care to become an expert veterinarian.
- Learn about animal husbandry, animal nursing, drug administration, animal anatomy, surgical preparations, and various aspects of veterinary medicine.
Course Duration: Self Paced
3. Veterinary Technology (Associate in Science)
Miami Dade College offers this Associate of Science Degree in Veterinary Technology. This course is third on the list of Veterinary Technician Online Courses and will make you eligible to appear in the Veterinary Technician National Exam and become a Certified Veterinary Technician. This course is rendered through MDC LIVE, which is a 100% online learning platform, with live faculty lectures. Enrol in this course now and start learning at your own pace, adjusted to suit your needs.
- Know how various medical tests are carried out on different animals.
- Learn to perform clinical procedures on various animals ranging from small animals to exotic ones.
- Learn about animal physiology and animal anatomy.
- Develop skills that will enhance your skills in animal medicine and help you establish success.
- Know what are the lab procedures, testing methodologies, and animal nursing and reporting skills.
- Strengthen your knowledge base with on-the-job training and gain real-life experience working as a veterinarian.
Course Duration: 2+ years
4. Veterinary Technology Program
The San Juan College offers this Veterinary Technology Distance Learning Program, designed for learners seeking veterinary as a career path. This AVMA-accredited program will enable you to become a credentialed veterinary technician and practitioner. Being taught online, the geographic boundaries are also relaxed, and you can complete your education in your comfort.
- Know the skills for assisting while diagnosing different animals.
- Learn the techniques for performing clinical and surgical procedures and diagnostic imaging on animals.
- Learn the required business skills to fulfil the needs of the veterinary technician as a profession.
- Learn animal pharmacology and be familiarized with veterinary terminologies.
- Gain high-level clinical skills through exhaustive fieldwork and a comprehensive learning environment.
- Get mentored by a licensed veterinary practitioner and learn skills from real-life experience.
Course Duration: 12-16 weeks
5. Veterinary Technology A.S. Degree
This Veterinary Technology course offered by St. Petersberg College will prepare you to begin your career in veterinary medicine. This fully online course will not only build a strong foundation but also train you in veterinary technology. Further, your academic experience will be improved with the mentoring of a credentialed technician mentor. Enrol in this course now to get your associate degree.
- Learn about animal lab procedures, laboratory animal treatment, and animal pharmacology.
- Be mentored by an approved technician who will monitor your academic progress.
- Know about animal anaesthesia, and emergency medication for animals.
- Learn about nursing skills for large animals and large animal diseases.
- Know about the medical care of avian and exotic pets.
- Undertake practical veterinary work to learn how technicians practice in real life and gain clinical experience.
Course Duration: 280 hours
6. Veterinary Technology
This Associate of Applied Science Degree is offered by Northern Virginia Community College and is accredited by the AVMA Committee. This veterinary technology course will equip you with the skills needed to build a career as a veterinary technician. It is for those students who want to gain knowledge about and learn the techniques of animal medicine. This online course will also make you ready to face the entry-level national licensing test. If you are a veterinary enthusiast and meet the admission requirements, enrol in this course right away!
- Learn animal nursing techniques and methods.
- Learn how specimen of animals is collected and what is the procedure to test them in the lab.
- With hands-on experience, your practical skills will be enhanced.
- Know the radiographic and anaesthetic techniques.
- Learn surgical assisting and become familiar with animal anatomy and diseases.
- Know different breeds of animals, their physiology, and their behaviour.
Course Duration: 2 years
7. Veterinary Technology B.A.S. Degree
This Veterinary Technology B.A.S. degree from St. Petersberg College will help you get ahead in your veterinary technology career. Further in your career and become a master in animal healthcare by gaining knowledge from this online course. This program is designed in a way that gives an in-depth knowledge of the subject. Enhance your technical skills and learning by meeting the admission criteria and enrolling in this B.A.S. course.
- Develop an understanding of veterinary technology from its beginning and the legal and ethical issues in vet tech.
- Learn advanced clinical applications and integrated veterinary technology.
- Learn the management of a veterinary hospital, its financial management, and supervision.
- Learn about leadership in veterinary technology professional communication in veterinary nursing.
- Get introduced to animal science, nutrition, and behaviour.
- Understand the human-animal bond and what is companion animal disease.
Course Duration: Self Paced
8. Veterinary Technology (A.A.S.)
Next on the list of Veterinary Technician Online Courses is the distance education program of Associate of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology, offered by the Blue Ridge Community College. Completion of this course makes you eligible to sit for the VTNE and apply for a license to practice as a veterinary technician. If you are an assistant, practitioner, or someone interested in pursuing this but cannot make it to the campus physically due to the ongoing pandemic, or otherwise, then this online course is perfect for you.
- Get introduced to veterinary technology, veterinary medical terminologies, and calculations.
- Know the anatomy and physiology of domestic animals.
- Get introduced to animal science, behaviour, and pharmacology.
- Learn laboratory techniques and veterinary clinical practices.
- Know about animal diseases and microbiology and learn animal surgical nursing.
- Learn more about laboratory and wildlife medicine and animal healthcare.
Course Duration: 3 years, 9 semesters
9. Veterinary Technician
This two-year diploma program also covers computer applications, veterinary practice management skills, recognizing behavioural signs, and educating and counselling clients in the area of pet nutrition. This course will teach you animal handling skills and other veterinary practices. It has been carefully designed for students interested in working with animals. You will learn about animal nursing, anaesthesia, surgical assistance, animal medication, etc. Completing this course will position you to become a registered veterinary technician.
- Learn about animal lifestyle, nutrition, sanitation, exercise, and enhancement.
- Know about the common tests carries out in the vet laboratory and the proper techniques to perform them.
- Know what your responsibilities are as a veterinary technician practising in a clinic, upholding professional ethics and the cons of the profession.
- Learn how to identify and respond to veterinary medical emergencies, notify concerned persons, and take charge of the situation.
- Know the use of mathematical techniques and the application of veterinary science in a laboratory setting.
- Learn the nursing techniques and apply them to various animal species to see the results.
Course Duration: 2 years
10. Veterinary Technician
Ashworth College offers this AVMA-CVTEA accredited associate degree of a veterinary technician. This course will prepare you for a successful career as a veterinary technician. This program will teach you the work of Vet techs in conjunction with veterinarians and veterinary assistants. By working on the job, while you complete your course online, you will also know what a typical day in the life of a vet tech looks like in different work environments, from zoos to clinics. This course is sure to make you ready to reach your potential in the veterinarian industry.
- Learn the animal medicine terms and basic animal care.
- Know what the ethical and legal issues affecting the animal healthcare industry are.
- Learn how to handle exotic animals, small animals, and farm animals.
- Learn about the procedures of veterinary anaesthesia, drug use, nursing, therapy techniques, and diagnosis.
- Know the use of different medications on different animals and drug dose monitoring.
- Learn how laboratory procedures are performed in a veterinary lab.
Course Duration: Self Paced
Recommended Video: Day In The Life of a Vet Tech | Vet Tech Vlog | Veterinary Technician
- 10 Best Building Services Online Courses & Certifications in 2023
- 10 Best Community Services Online Courses & Certifications
- 10 Top Financial Services Online Courses and Certifications