The term Veterinary is understood as work relating to taking care of animal health and medical treatment of animals. A veterinarian, in simple terms, is an animal doctor. With an increase in sensitivity towards animals and concerns for animal health, the demand for veterinary professionals has also risen.
According to a recent study, veterinary jobs are expected to increase by over 19% by 2026, which is huge in comparison to the demand of the previous decade. It is evident that there are plenty of job opportunities for vets globally and, it is now a financially rewarding career as well. Here are a few courses that will help you turn your love for animals into your job.
Recommended Watch: A Veterinarian’s Entire Routine, from Waking Up to Treating Pets
List of Top Veterinary Online Courses
1. EDIVET: Becoming a Veterinarian – Coursera
The University of Edinburgh offers this veterinary course. This course will teach you about animal nursing and assistance in detail. If you have what it takes to become a veterinarian, then this course is definitely worth your time. It is a 100% online course after completing which you also get a shareable certificate. Enroll in this course and get an idea of what it is to study and become a full-time vet.
- Know about veterinary history and its evolution over time.
- Learn veterinary clinical skills which are very important in practice.
- Know about veterinary professional skills under the guidance of qualified teachers.
- Learn about animal physiology and the anatomy of the body and be guided by the teaching team.
- Get an overview of animal care and know animal healthcare in detail.
Duration – 9 hours
Rating – 4.2/5
2. Veterinary Nursing
This is a detailed course on veterinary nursing by Harley Oxford University. If you’re someone who wants to drive a career forward as a veterinary nursing assistant, then you should enroll in this course right away! This program is entirely online, and the course materials are accessible for 12 months from your enrollment. This means you can complete it at your pace. Spread over seven modules; this course covers a variety of topics in detail. Sign up for this course to learn new skills and accelerate your career as a veterinary nursing assistant.
- Learn the veterinary terminologies and anatomical directional terms.
- Know about the internal organs of different animals, their physiology, the skeletal system, and animal anatomy.
- Know the canine and feline body language of animals, and learn body conditioning scoring.
- Learn animal nutrition, food and appetite assessment, nutritional assessment, and pain assessment.
- Know about animal pulse, temperature, and respiration and learn how to measure it.
- Learn general nursing care, animal handling, and understanding animal behavior.
Duration – Self-paced
Rating – 4/5
3. Animal Behaviour and Welfare – Coursera
This course on animal behavior and welfare is offered by the University of Edinburgh. It is an important course in becoming a successful veterinarian. It covers the interesting study of animal behavior and discusses animal welfare at lengths. Through this course, you will learn how to study the emotions of animals which will be really helpful in building a strong career in the field of veterinary.
- Get introduced to veterinary science and the concept of animal welfare and its significance.
- Study animal behavior, know how they should be looked after, and learn how to carry out animal welfare assessments.
- Learn about a practical approach to animal healthcare through the companion animal welfare approach.
- Learn about the healthcare and welfare of farm animals by studying their behavior and observing patterns.
- Know the issues with animal welfare, understand the reasons, and work out solutions.
Duration – 10 hours
Rating – 4.5/5
4. Ozone Therapy: Adjunct to Veterinary Medicine – Udemy
This course is about Ozone Therapy which is one of the pragmatic approaches to healing. This course discusses the significance of ozone in veterinary science. It is very useful to aspiring and practicing veterinarians as it will help them in better treatment of animals. This course will teach you about ozone therapy which is highly effective in treating both acute and chronic diseases as well as helps improve the general health of animals. Enroll in this course to learn about different aspects of treating animals and upgrade your knowledge.
- Know about the Ozone therapy, its history, and the benefits of ozone.
- Holistically learn about veterinary medicine and ozone therapy.
- Know how ozone therapy is actually supplementing in veterinary nursing.
- Know what are the modes of delivery of ozone therapy.
- Learn about UV Blood Irradiation therapy, its uses, and how is it done.
- Learn the Micro Biome Restorative therapy and its importance.
- Have a veterinary ozone lecture to know about veterinary ozone wetlab.
- Understand the need for and the benefits of ozone therapy in veterinary medicine.
Duration – 8 hours
Rating – 4/5
5. Approach to hemorrhagic shock in small animals (Veterinary) – Udemy
This course covers a specific aspect of veterinary medicine in detail, which is a hemorrhagic shock in small animals. A veterinarian must know how to deal with critical and complex cases. Hence this course is very useful as it will teach you everything about the diagnosis and treatment of severe hemorrhagic shock. It emphasizes the traumatic etiology and covers all aspects of hemorrhagic shock in small animals. The course material is exhaustive and based on the author’s long experience of working in critical care. Sign up for this course and know how vets work in ICUs and emergency rooms.
- Know about the main pathophysiologic sides of hemorrhagic shock and stages of shock in animals.
- Learn about acute traumatic coagulopathy and vasodilatory phenotype.
- Learn about damage control resuscitation and implementation of hypotensive resuscitation.
- Learn autotransfusion in patients who experienced a severe hemorrhagic shock.
- Know how blood pressure should be measured for patients with hemorrhagic shock.
Duration – 1 hour
Rating – 4/5
6. Dog Emotion and Cognition – Coursera
Duke University offers this course on Dog Emotion and Cognition in the animal health discipline. This course will acquaint you with the interesting study of dog psychology. This online course tries to cover in detail how dogs think and feel about us and other things in general. Understanding the patient’s psychology is crucial for becoming an efficient veterinarian and this course tries to do just that. It covers revelations from recent studies and how we can utilize this new information to understand our furry friends better.
- Learn about dog psychology and understand the science behind it.
- Learn about the experimental methodology and get introduced to evolutionary and cognitive theory.
- Understand how dogs compare to other animals, the evolutionary relationship with dogs, and know how you can try out cognitive games with dogs.
- Know about animal cognition, its meaning, animal behavior, cognitive psychology, and how it is useful in dog training.
- Know about different breeds of dogs, common myths around them, the differences, and stereotypes. Also, understand dog aggression.
- Understand the social system of dogs and their social tolerance.
Duration – 22 hours
Rating – 4.2/5
7. Mentorship at Work for Veterinarians – Udemy
This course discusses an important but undermined aspect of veterinary practice, i.e., mentoring at the workplace. Veterinarians, in order to improve their performance and excel in their careers, need mentoring. Mentorship is an essential skill even vets should possess to improve the performance of other vets, staff, and assistants working with them. This online course elaborates on the role of mentorship in veterinary clinics in the growth of professionals and successful relationships at work.
- Find ways that motivate vets and enhance their skills through effective mentoring.
- Understand how to create a culture of learning by building a proper mentoring environment within the workplace.
- Understand how to retain top veterinarians and staff and grow your network by attracting new vets and assistants.
- Learn how an effective and feasible plan for every employee should be developed.
- Learn how you can develop your mentorship skills and come up with ideas to apply those at your workplace.
Duration – 3 hours
Rating – 3.8/5
8. Pet Care/ Vet Assistant Diploma – International Career Institute
This course on pet care will teach you about animal care and nursing. This course gives you a chance to learn from professionals and vet experts. Interact with qualified and successful practicing professionals to increase your veterinary knowledge. This online course has been specially designed in conjunction with senior vets for animal lovers to study pet care.
- Get introduced to veterinary health care; know about animal injuries, illness, disease, and health issues.
- Know what are the different treatments for different health issues and learn animal management.
- Know how to become an expert in pet care and build your career as a successful vet.
- Study about preventative healthcare, animal nursing, routine health checks, and animal first aid.
- Learn about animal physiology, genetics, anatomy, behavior, and communication.
- Learn animal handling, rehabilitation and know how different animals are transported.
Duration – 24 weeks
Rating – 4/5
9. Animal Health Care
This course offered by ACS Distance Education is about the health management of animals. You will learn about the medical care and nursing of various animals ranging from pets, farm animals to wild animals. This course teaches how you can work as a veterinary nurse in an animal clinic or shelter home. This online course can be taken up at your pace from the comfort of your home. This course will also provide you with a great learning opportunity and help you improve your veterinary skills.
- Learn about preventive health treatment, vaccination, insect control, tetanus, balanced diet, and right nutrition in animals.
- Learn about the routine health treatments, spaying, vasectomy, castration of cats, pregnancy in animals, euthanasia, animal anesthesia, etc.
- Know about the health problems like burns, shocks, etc that domestic animals suffer.
- Learn about animal care at rehabilitation centers, the scope of rehabilitation, know how the recovery treatment is planned and monitored.
- Learn administration of animal health, common health problems, animal first aid and types of wounds, cuts, punctures, cleaning and treatment of such wounds.
- Know about animal behaviour, animal body language, behaviour, communication, language of dogs, cats, and birds, and animal psychology.
- Learn how you can identify signs of ill health, note symptoms, diagnosing and treating such different kinds of diseases.
Duration – 100 hours
Rating – 4.2/5
10. Veterinary Assistant Training Online
The Houston Community College offers this online course training on veterinary sciences. This online course will train you to become an efficient veterinarian. This course will not only enhance your knowledge as a vet but will also teach you skills that will make you a successful veterinary professional. You can learn at your own pace from the comfort of your home. Master all that it takes to become a vet expert by enrolling in this course.
- Understand the anatomy, and physiology of the major organ system of different species of animals.
- Know how to administer medication and vaccination in animals and learn about animal nutrition.
- Learn about common health issues in animals and how to diagnose and treat those for different animals.
- Know how blood samples are collected, prescriptions are prepared, and medications are advised.
Duration – Self-paced
Rating – 4/5