Pathology is the branch of medicine that deals with the effects and causes of diseases and also includes the examination of laboratory samples of body tissues in order to make proper diagnoses. USCAP Online Courses is the best way to explore more about it.
Founded in 1906, The United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists is the largest pathological organization in North America. With a diverse international audience attending over 100 courses, meets and conferences, USCAP also publishes two leading pathology journals Laboratory Investigation and Modern Pathology.
List of The Best USCAP Online Courses and Certificate Programs
We have jotted down a list of the best USCAP Online Courses and Certificate programs that may like to enhance your skills.
1. Biliary Tree Pathology Course – USCAP e-Learning
This is a course that focuses on the pathological examination and provides a comprehensive analysis of the pancreaticobiliary and gastrointestinal tract in order to detect several forms of carcinomas and also teaches the various stages involved in proper pathological diagnosis. If you are a pathologist or a health professional looking for a detailed course focusing on the pancreas, liver and GI tract, then this course is perfect for you.
A. USCAP Interactive Microscopy – USCAP e-Learning
This is a free course that can be attended to understand the various techniques involved in proper microscopy to produce the best sample results. Moreover, it allows you to identify abnormal tissues and produce a preliminary diagnosis.
- This a free course for you to try out.
- Provides an interactive approach to microscopy techniques.
- Gynecologic, urologic and pancreaticobiliary pathology courses are included in this course.
B. Pancreaticobiliary Pathology for Those in The Trenches: What Really Matters (and What Doesn’t) – USCAP e-Learning
This course is specifically focused on providing pathology trainees and healthcare professionals with many “knowledge pearls’” so as to detect and identify abnormalities and diseases in pancreaticobiliary tree tissues, which are relatively uncommon in nature. If you are a pathologist facing problems with properly diagnosing such uncommon abnormalities, then this course will surely suit you.
- Understand how you might face the problem of analysing and diagnosing a particular specimen due to your being unaware of the updated terminology and staging issues.
- Gain confidence in detecting and identifying unusual patterns of vasculitis, parasitic infestation, and immune system-mediated conditions.
- Get accustomed to detecting and diagnosing several abnormalities such as gall bladder neoplasms and pancreaticobiliary lesions.
- Provides practical information in the field.
- Learn to recognise and classify important inflammatory conditions of the pancreaticobiliary system.
- Develop a streamlined and algorithmic approach to the diagnosis of solid pancreaticobiliary lesions.
- Learn to distinguish between carcinomas and their potential mimics.
- Learn From highly accredited mentors.
C. Tutorial in Pathology of The GI Tract, Pancreas And Liver – USCAP e-Learning
If you are a practising pathologist or a pathologist-in-training and want to enrol in a course that teaches you how to produce comprehensive and accurate differential diagnoses for a large spectrum of inflammatory and neoplastic disorders in the GI tract, pancreas and liver based on limited biopsy materials, then this course is best suited for you.
- Learn to visualise and sample the entire tubular gut.
- Learn to improve the criteria for the identification of mismatch repair protein immunohistochemistry.
- Learn to formulate a suitable differential diagnosis(possible diagnoses) for chronic hepatitis.
- Learn about the various neoplasms that occur in the GI tract, pancreas and liver.
- Streamline usage of ancillary tests in the evaluation of lymphoid infiltrates of the GI tract
2. Bone And Soft Tissue Pathology – USCAP e-Learning
These courses provide technical insight into the field of Bone and Soft tissue pathology so as to provide the learners with a greater range of differential diagnoses for various abnormalities and diseases in such tissues.
A. Interactive Microscopy With Authors of The Fascicles
This course includes interactive microscopy sessions along with highly decorated pathologists for diagnosing a variety of tumours such as Uterine, hepatic, bone, lymphoma, gastroesophageal and soft tissue tumours. If you are looking for a completely inclusive course in bone and soft tissue tumour diagnosis, you should definitely check this course out.
- Learn to develop a differential diagnosis for a variety of tumour types which include bone tumours, uterine mesenchymal tumours, lymphomas etc.
- Learn to apply immunochemistry to filter out a possible diagnosis
- Learn the importance of molecular genetic testing for the diagnosis of tumours.
B. Independent Study With An Expert
This course is specifically designed for viewing in one’s personal space during the COVID restrictions in order to continue the supply of information to pathologists at a time when travel is restricted.
- Contains a catalogue of 16 courses, which can be attended separately.
- Learn about pulmonary fibrosis.
- Learn to properly diagnose prostate cancer.
- Introduce yourself to cystic lung disease.
- Understand the different factors that affect various types of carcinomas occurring in different organs and skeletal tissues.
C. Updates from The New WHO Classification of Soft Tissue And Bone Tumors
This course shows the new immunohistological markers for bone and soft tissue tumours and elaborates on the types of bone and soft tissue tumours in WHO research.
- Learn about the update in soft tissue and bone tumours based on the new World Health Organisation classification
- Learn and apply recently developed immunohistochemical markers for the diagnosis of soft tissue and bone tumours.
- Understand the function of recently identified molecular genetic alterations in the diagnosis of soft tissue and bone tumour.
D. Common And Rare Soft Tissue Tumors: Histologic Mimics With Marked Differences in Behavior
This course will give knowledge about applying immunohistochemistry to cure differential diagnoses of soft tissue tumours.
- Learn to produce a differential diagnosis for a wide range of soft tissue tumours.
- Utilize and apply immunohistochemistry to help in the differential diagnosis of soft tissue tumours.
- Identify diagnostically useful genetic alterations in soft tissue tumours
E. Core Biopsies and Resections of Soft Tissue Tumors: Diagnostic Pearls and Helpful Markers
- Learn to produce a differential diagnosis for a wide range of soft tissue tumours.
- Utilize and apply immunohistochemistry to help in the differential diagnosis of soft tissue tumours.
- Identify diagnostically useful genetic alterations in soft tissue tumours.
F. Recent Advances in Soft Tissue Tumor Pathology: Evolving Classification, Novel Molecular Findings And New Diagnostic Markers
- Learn to produce a differential diagnosis for soft tissue tumours based on dominant histologic patterns and anatomic sites
- Apply immunohistochemistry to help resolve the differential diagnosis.
- Understand the importance of molecular genetic testing for the diagnosis of soft tissue tumours.
3. Breast pathology – USCAP e-Learning
The courses included within the breast pathology module focuses on the pathology of breast abnormalities and disease including carcinomas and lesions and are on the third list of USCAP Online Courses.
A. Perplexing Problems in Breast Pathology (And How to Solve Them?)
This course focuses on teaching the learners to eliminate any practice errors in breast pathology by highlighting pitfalls and provides an approach to resolving them by using routine microscopic examination of H and E-stained sections and immunostains.
- Provides in-depth and technical knowledge in ensuring the proper diagnosis of breast disease and carcinomas.
- Learn to categorise proliferative breast lesions, the classification of in situ lesions, papillary lesions, fibroepithelial lesions, spindle cell lesions, vascular lesions and the distinction between invasive and in situ lesions.
- Learn to properly classify a variety of uncommon benign and malignant lesions.
- An interactive microscopy course.
- Understand the role of newer adjunctive molecular tests.
B. 2020 Annual Meeting Long Course – Major Advances in The Diagnosis And Management of Breast Diseases
This course contains valuable updates from the 2020 Annual Meeting of the USCAP. The course provides a detailed overview of the various advances made in the diagnosis and management of breast diseases.
- The course contains 8 different sub-courses.
- Update current knowledge on recent advances in diagnostic breast pathology.
- Recognize the major development of pathologic diagnoses for evolving management strategies
- Learn the new ways of recognising novel molecular subtypes of breast cancer requiring differing therapeutic strategies.
- Learn the technique of de-escalation of therapy in patients with ductal carcinoma in situ.
- Understand the molecular underpinnings of breast tumours and their associated therapeutic impact.
C. Practical Approach to Problematic Breast Lesions
This interactive microscopy course through intimate mentoring by practitioners of the Harvard Medical School, Stanford and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center aims at eliminating a variety of practice gaps in diagnostic breast pathology.
- Learn to reduce misdiagnosis.
- Learn to properly diagnose breast lesions.
- Learn the proper approach to resolve differential diagnosis using the routine microscopic examination.
- Learn to evaluate diagnostic requirements and the clinical significance of various common and uncommon benign, in situ and malignant lesions of the breast.
- Learn the differential diagnostic problems commonly encountered in breast pathology and develop strategies to resolve them in a practical environment.
- Utilize the latest information on the uses and limitations of immunohistochemistry in resolving diagnostic problems in breast pathology.
4. Cytopathology – USCAP e-Learning
This online self-paced course ranks fourth on the list of USCAP Online Courses and has a broad perspective on cytopathology.
A. Immersive Cytopathology Experience: ICE in Iceland
This course provides a practical and hands-on approach through an immersive cytopathology experience(ICE). Moreover, it elucidates the importance of the pathologist-patient interaction.
- Learn to resolve challenging cases from academic institutions, focusing on head and neck lesions.
- Provides a hands-on scenario-based approach to the entire course.
- Learn to classify these diseases on a molecular and genetic basis.
- Learn to refine your skills for interaction with patients and surgeons.
- Learn to optimise patient safety and quality.
2. Head And Neck Cytopathology: Practical Tools for Common Cases
This course introduces to you the proper procedures for detecting and diagnosing the most common head and neck lesions. If you are a pathologist or a pathologist-in-training looking for a comprehensive course covering head and neck lesions, then this course is definitely for you.
- Build strong foundational knowledge in the detection and identification of common head and neck lesions.
- Clear dilemmas in head and neck pathology.
- Learn how to triage FNA specimens from squamous lesions of the head and neck and how to test for Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) in this setting.
- Cultivate confidence through mastery.
5. Dermatopathology – USCAP e-Learning
This course is fifth on the list of USCAP Online Courses and has enhanced knowledge about skin.
1. Dermatopathology in The Desert: A Survival Kit for Pathologists
This course focuses on eliminating the day-to-day problems encountered by general surgical pathologists and dermatopathologists in skin pathology. If you are a practitioner, then you should definitely check out this course on dermatopathology.
- Strengthen foundational skills.
- Learn and apply the required criteria for the diagnosis of selected melanocytic neoplasms.
- Learn and apply the required criteria for the diagnosis of selected cutaneous lymphomas.
- Learn and apply the required criteria for the diagnosis of selected inflammatory dermatoses.
- Learn and apply the required criteria for the diagnosis of selected adnexal tumours.
- Learn and apply the required criteria for the diagnosis of selected cutaneous soft tissue tumours.
2. Dermatopathology in The Desert: Dodging Bullets in The Dermatopathology Wilderness
This course focuses on understanding the morphology and variety of cutaneous tumours and ensuring proper diagnosis for patients. This course also provides information about recent updates made in the world of dermatopathology.
- Learn to distinguish between neoplastic and non-neoplastic disorders of the skin.
- Understand the wide morphologic spectrum of cutaneous tumours and associated diagnostic challenges.
- Learn about recent developments in dermatopathology.
- Learn how to integrate clinical information and ancillary tests to achieve a better and more precise diagnosis.
- Understand the appropriate use and limitations of immunofluorescence testing in dermatopathology.
3. Annual Meeting Long Course – Common Problems in Dermatopathology
- A comprehensive course underlines the various ways in which a variety of dermatology cases can be properly diagnosed.
- Learn to prevent misdiagnosis.
- Learn the usage of histological markers to prevent misdiagnosis in dermatopathology.
6. Common And Challenging Diagnostic Dilemmas on Frozen Section Service – USCAP e-Learning
This course elaborates upon the various problems that can be faced during the analysis of frozen section service and explains how such analysis can be effective in determining the surgical procedure.
- Become familiar with the common clinical artefacts in order to prevent misinterpretation.
- Understand the common clinical scenarios which are diagnosed by frozen sections.
- Learn to improve and enhance communication with the operating surgeon to maximize effectiveness.
7. Gastrointestinal Pathology – USCAP e-Learning
This course ranks seventh on the list of USCAP Online Courses and provides knowledge about gastrointestinal properties that are involved in Pathology.
1. Tutorial in Pathology of The GI Tract, Pancreas And Liver 2021
This course provides a fundamental approach to the pathology of the GI tract, Pancreas and Liver. If you are a pathologist or a pathologist-in-training wishing to attend a course that specifically focuses on the GI tract, then you should definitely check this course.
- Understand essential concepts in the diagnosis of pancreatic neoplasia.
- Explore various topics such as polyposis, hereditary cancers and Lynch Syndrome.
- Learn to formulate a relevant differential diagnosis for chronic hepatitis and biliary disease
- Learn to distinguish between medication-related injury and other inflammatory conditions of the GI tract.
- Learn and explore various neoplasms that affect the gastrointestinal tract, liver and pancreas.
- Understand and distinguish lymphoproliferative diseases that affect the gut.
2. An Oasis of Gastrointestinal Pathology
This course focuses on the various aspects of gastrointestinal pathology and shows the different methods of diagnosing several gut abnormalities and diseases.
- Learn to evaluate, detect and identify abnormalities in appendectomy specimens containing luminal and extra-appendiceal mucin.
- Get solutions in challenging areas involving the diagnosis of various GI tract disorders.
- Experienced faculty derived from Rodger C. Haggitt Gastrointestinal Pathology Society (GIPS).
3. Pauci-Inflammatory Patterns of Colonic Injury
This course provides a microscopy presentation to detect different patterns of colonic injury.
- Understand and recognise features that facilitate the classification of ischemic patterns of injury
- Learn to develop a differential diagnosis for patterns of injury in the stem cell transplant patient.
- Learn to identify infectious organisms in biopsy material.
8. Modern Surgical Pathology through The Expert Eyes of APSS-USCAP(General Pathology) – USCAP e-Learning
This course provides a comprehensive and in-depth insight into the field of general pathology, through several H and E-stained sections and immunostains. If you wish to enrol in a course in general pathology with world-class mentors, then this is definitely the course for you.
- Get a general overview of pathology.
- Learn to evaluate diagnostic criteria and clinical significance of various common and uncommon benign, in situ and malignant lesions of the breast, GI and GYN tract, prostate, lung, head and neck and soft tissues in core needle biopsy specimens
- Get to know differential diagnostic problems commonly encountered in these sites and develop strategies to resolve them in the hands-on practice environment
- Eliminate diagnostic errors by highlighting pitfalls and approaches to resolving them in surgical pathology using both routine microscopic examination of H and E-stained sections and immuno-stains
- Discuss the uses and limitations of immunohistochemistry in diagnostic surgical pathology
- Discuss the role of newer adjunctive molecular tests.
9. Traps And Pitfalls to Avoid in Urologic Pathology-USCAP e-Learning
This course allows you to learn the various problems that can be encountered in the pathology of the excretory system and guides you to prevent misdiagnosis. This course is ninth on the list of USCAP Online Courses.
- Learn to recognise the most common benign mimickers of prostate cancer
- Learn to identify therapy-related changes in the prostate and become aware of traps and pitfalls.
- Identify secondary tumours involving the prostate, tumours arising from the prostatic urethra, and other histological variants of prostate cancer.
- Get to know about updates on newly-described entities in renal neoplasia, including guidelines for using immunohistochemistry in the work-up of renal tumours
- Learn to develop a systematic and logical approach to the diagnosis of bladder lesions, primary and secondary bladder tumours, benign mimickers of malignancy and staging requirement criteria.
- Get introduced to the new concepts and entities presented in the WHO 2016 Classification of Testicular Tumors containing differential diagnoses, morphologic mimics and prognostic significance
10. Gynecologic Pathology – USCAP e-Learning
These courses provide fundamental as well as technical knowledge in gynecologic pathology from accredited mentors from various universities and institutes. This self-paced online course ranks tenth on the list of USCAP Online Courses.
A. Gynecologic Pathology: Evolving Concepts, Classics, Caveats
This course discusses several selected yet diverse groups of gynaecological track abnormality cases and highlights important problems and clarifies concepts. If you are looking for a proper course in gynaecological pathology, then this is the perfect course for you.
- Understand the importance of ancillary testing in the detection of the gynaecological tract.
- Helps develop a systematic approach to the detection and identification of gynecologic tract abnormalities.
- Summarize diagnostic concepts in gynaecological tract cases that have evolved recently.
- Course mentored by Oluwole Fadare, MD, University of California.
B.Pitfalls And Pearls in Gynecologic Pathology
This course guides the learners through the various pitfalls that can be encountered in gynaecological pathology and also provides several tips on examination.
- Learn to evaluate and interpret biopsy specimens with expertise.
- Develop skills to identify the commonly used adjuncts in gynecologic pathology.
- Enhance your real-life clinical practice.
11. Challenges in Hematopathology – USCAP e-Learning
This course provides a proper description of the commonly faced challenges in hematopathology and shows the methods of tumours produced as a result of genetic mutation in blood cells. If you are looking for an online USCAP course on hematopathology, this is definitely the course for you.
- Learn to diagnose extra-nodal hematopoietic neoplasms, cutaneous lymphomas, T-cell lymphomas and needle core biopsies from lymph nodes.
- Improve your ability to distinguish T-cell lymphocytes.
12. Liver Pathology(Additional) – USCAP e-Learning
This course is twelfth on the list of USCAP Online Courses and contains the following:
A. Drug-Induced Liver Injury – It Can Always Be a Drug!
This course shows how pepper interpretation of specimens can be instrumental in diagnosing drug-induced liver injury.
- Learn how histological pattern-based observations can aid greatly in drug-induced liver injury.
- Learn about the common drugs which cause such liver injuries.
B. Hepatocellular Mass Lesions: Old and New, Fun and Annoying
The course provides interactive microscopy sessions for detecting a number of liver abnormalities.
- Learn to recognise the key histologic features of the range of mass lesions composed of hepatocytes.
- Learn and understand the clinical, imaging and laboratory features that can help in the proper diagnosis of hepatocellular mass lesions.
- Understand the immunohistological stains and molecular studies that confirm the diagnosis of various hepatocellular mass lesions.
13. Neuropathology – USCAP e-Learning
This course provides a comprehensive lesson on the diagnosis and features of various tumours and lesions of the Central Nervous System(CNS).
A. Updates of the WHO Classification of Brain and Pituitary Tumors:
This course provides the learners with updates in the World Health Organisation Classification of Brain and Pituitary gland tumours during this molecular era.
- Learn to facilitate clinical, experimental and epidemiological studies that will lead to improvements in the lives of patients with brain tumours.
- Pathologists can utilize this course for changing their diagnostic criteria in their own practice.
- Learn to apply the cIMPACT-NOW and 2016 updates to the World Health Organisation classification for the diagnosis of diffuse gliomas.
- Learn to visualise changes in neuroendocrine and non-neuroendocrine pituitary tumour classification.
B. Practical Neuropathy for Today’s Practice
If you are a pathologist or a pathologist-in-training who is uncomfortable in making diagnoses for neuropathological tumours due to their relative rarity, then this is the course for you.
- Gain confidence in detecting, identifying and diagnosing neuropathological abnormalities.
- Learn the strategies for approaching a case for proper diagnosis.
- Provides practice to increase the comfort level of practitioners.
14. Placental Pathology – A Tour of Common and Rare Pathologies with a Focus on Clinical Relevance – USCAP e-Learning
If you are looking for a course that provides information on a relatively rarely explored subject – placental pathology, then this is the perfect course for you. This course is fourteenth on the list of USCAP Online Courses.
- Develop confidence in providing placental diagnoses.
- Learn to detect abnormalities that require immediate reporting.
15. Pulmonary Pathology:
These courses are designed to provide you with an insightful approach to pulmonary pathology and visit several aspects which help in diagnosing lung disease.
A. Old Actresses in New Roles: Granulomas, Giant Cells and Cystic Lung Disease
If you are looking for a course in such pulmonary diseases and abnormalities and wish to expand your knowledge in the same, then you should definitely check this course out.
- Learn about some uncommon causes of granulomatous and giant cell lung disease.
- Develop a broader differential diagnosis for patients with unexplained granulomatous lung diseases.
- Learn how to discriminate between cystic lung disease associated with neoplasm from those associated with benign disease
- Get top-class mentoring.
B. Theme and Variations: Vasculitis and Eosinophils
- Learn to distinguish between causes of infectious and non-infectious granulomatous inflammation of the lung.
- Summarize the spectrum of changes that can be identified in granulomatous with polyangiitis
- Learn to identify various forms of infectious and non-infectious eosinophilic lung disease.
21. Thoracic Pathology – USCAP e-Learning
These courses provide a detailed and comprehensive insight into thoracic pathology and include in their agenda matters of technical expertise for diagnosing various thoracic diseases. This course has secured the twenty-first rank on the list of USCAP Online Courses.
- Learn to evaluate cardiovascular and mediastinal specimens.
- Understand how to handle thoracic specimens.
- Learn patient management
- Utilize different classification and grading schemes for diagnosing thoracic disease.