The United Nations organization, usually referred to as the UN, has been regarded as one of the most important international organizations in today’s world. In the eyes of many people in today’s world, it is a beacon of hope for a brighter future for humanity. Under the UN, there are as many as 15 specialized organizations, each serving an important aspect of achieving peace and progress over the world and having various United Nations online courses.
To accomplish its goals, UN organizations have taken the initiative to make use of the increasingly digitalized world by conducting online courses on their respective digital platforms. So, grab this opportunity to gain first-hand experience from UN experts by gaining knowledge about current affairs and urgent matters.
List of the Best United Nations Online Courses and Certificate Programs
Here are the most popular and in-demand United Nations online courses and certificate programs. Go through it and sign up for the one that suits you the best.
1. Business Model Innovation for Sustainable Landscape Restoration – UNSDG Learn
The United Nations sustainable development group has organized an online course For all interested in the tools to learn about business model innovation needed for sustainable landscape restoration. This course is in three phases that introduce the participant to implementing a successful sustainable business model. This is a free course that you can attend at your convenience. A certificate of participation will be given at the end of the course.
- Familiarise yourself with the sustainable development goals set by the UN
- Learn about the existing business models for sustainable landscape restoration
- Develop a new business model for sustainable landscape restoration
- Understand through case studies remote parts of the world
- Analyze the four returns thinking to design a new business model
- Conductor stakeholder analysis and draw conclusions
Course Duration: 8 weeks
2. Migration and Health: Enhancing Intercultural Competence and Diversity Sensitivity – Open WHO
The World Health Organization has developed an online self Best course on migration and health, which analyses the intercultural competencies and diversity sensitivity present in our society. This course is specially designed for health authorities and workers working at the national, and international levels. This course provides an overview of the methods and techniques that can be useful in improving the healthcare of an organization. A certificate of completion will be given to all the participants who own at least 80% marks in their assignments.
- Introduce yourself to the issues that the health authorities face due to migration
- Learn the key terminologies and definitions related to heterogeneous genius groups
- Understand the concept of intercultural competence and diversity sensitivity
- Learn how culturally diverse populations affect the health sector and services
- Identify the importance of community participation in healthcare
- Review the policies made and give suggestions to improve them
Course Duration: 2 hours 20 minutes
3. Solid Waste Management – edX
This course is third on the list of United Nations online courses. The World Bank Group has launched a self-paced program on its digital learning platform. Solid waste management is one of the most discussed issues in the world at the moment, and this force addresses this very issue and suggests ways to manage it. This is an introductory course based on one of the most crucial topics of environmental studies. This is a free course available on edX. However, for the certificate, the participant will need to upgrade the course.
- Gain a basic understanding of the fundamentals of solid waste management
- Learn about municipal solid waste in detail
- Recognize the various technologies that would be helpful in the disposal of solid waste
- Understand the importance of SWM on the economic development of a country
- Explore the existing policies on managing solid waste
- Study through real-life examples and relevant case studies
Course Duration: 6 weeks
4. Climate Change, Peace and Security: Understanding Climate-Related Security Risks Through an Integrated Lens – UNCC Learn
The UN climate change learning partnership is a joint initiative of more than 30 organizations that help in achieving climate change action by creating awareness and making people develop the skills to build resilience to climate change. This particular course focuses on the interconnection between climate change peace and security. This course has three modules that handle different aspects of climate change and the ways to tackle it.
- Understand the concept of the climate change plan adopted by the UN
- Address the problems of peace and security through climate change
- Learn our gender norms and other social factors are associated with climate change
- Identify the risks and challenges involved in climate change
- Learn the art of risk management and design ways to prevent risks
- Recognize the impact of climate-related security risks on different groups of people
Course Duration: 4.5 hours
5. Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Policy and Governance Systems – UNESCO Open Learning
Fifth on the list of best United Nations Online Courses – The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization has offered an online self-guided course on its e-learning platform. This course helps in making its participants aware of reviewing, monitoring and developing science, technology and innovation policies and governance systems through an integrated and multicultural approach. This course has several prerequisites that need to be kept in mind while registering for it. It is to be noted that enrollment in this course is by invitation only.
- Understand the framework of National Systems of Innovation (NSI)
- Introduce yourself to the history and origin of the STI policy framework
- Identify the innovation systems and activities
- Comprehend the role of innovation in addressing the goals of sustainable development
- Evaluate the healthcare systems through an innovative approach
- Learn about the existing training sessions on the policy of STI
Course Duration: Self Paced
6. Economics of Innovation – UNU
United Nations University has launched an online course on the economics of innovation with the support of Mastrick University. This course focuses on providing a theoretical introduction to the economic analysis of innovation. It is a paid course that gives reading material and a chance to interact with the online course tutor. An MSc or MA degree (or equivalent) in Social Science is an essential requirement for attending this course.
- Learning the basic definitions and terminology used to understand innovation
- Develop an innovative approach by studying innovation through economic analysis
- Understand deeper through historical and empirical shreds of evidence
- Study in detail through real-life examples and case studies
- Analyze the systematic nature of innovative processes
- Examine the role of innovation in the industrial change and revolution
Course Duration: 60 hours
7. Business and Decent Work- ITCILO
International Training Centre of the International Labour Organisation has provided an opportunity for young learners to get a gist of technical training through its online platform. This is a self-regulated module lecture that provides an introduction to the Tripartite Declaration of Principles concerning multinational enterprise and social policy under ILO. This course is particularly designed for government officials. However, anyone interested in learning about business in decent work can sign up for it.
- Learn the basic concepts of business and decent work
- Understand through case studies the practical usage of the MNE Declaration
- Know about the history and evolution of the MNE Declaration
- Examine how the MNE Declaration is related to different business behaviours
- Explore the ILO governing body and its operational tools and instruments
- Identify the importance of the MNE Declaration in achieving the 2030 agenda for sustainable development
Course Duration: Self Paced
8. Local Area and Market Assessment – FAO e-Learning Academy
The Food and agriculture organization of the United Nations has offered an online course in its e-learning academy on the topic of the local area and market assessment. This course is a part of the series called mechanization higher service as a business. This course is developed to educate people about agriculture mechanization and the basics of running it as a business. This course provides a digital badge to all those who secure at least 75% on the test.
- Know the conditions of the local area and their market assessment
- Learn the role of the local area in mechanization
- Learn the steps for conducting a financial assessment
- Apply the steps practically by conducting a market assessment of a local area
- Understand in-depth through case studies and real-life examples
- Learn the relationship between mechanization and agribusiness
Course Duration: 20 minutes
9. Introduction to International Tourism and Travel Law – UNWTO Tourism Academy
The world trade organization under the United Nations and IE University have launched an online course through its digital platform on international tourism and travel laws. This is a 100% online course with a flexible schedule that allows the participant to attend it anytime and anywhere. This program is suitable for all individuals in search of learning about the concepts of international tourism and the laws that bind it. This course also provides a certificate of completion after finishing the short program.
- Get introduced to the international tourism and travel laws
- Learn about the history and origin of the international law
- Understand the structure of UNWTO and its relation to the laws
- Analyze the structure of tourism ethics
- Familiarise yourself with the laws that protect the traveller’s rights
- Explore the sustainable tourism laws
Course Duration: 10 hours
10. Opportunities and Challenges for MSMEs in Caribbean Cross-Border e-Commerce – ECLAC
The Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean under the United Nations has organized an online course on the opportunities and challenges of MSMEs in the Caribbean cross-border e-commerce. This course has been made to make people aware of the issues that small enterprises may come across and how they overcome them. This course aims to make people familiar with the existing policies and to make them think of improving the capacities of MSMEs.
- Familiarise yourself with the developments in cross-border e-commerce, particularly in the Caribbean region
- Know the conditions of MSMEs In creep in cross-border e-commerce
- Identify the anti-competitive practices that impact market access in a negative manner
- Examine the role of competition in cross-border e-commerce
- Explore the reasons for effective implementation of cross-border e-commerce and capacity building of MSMEs
- Study in depth through extra reading materials and interviews
Course Duration: Self Paced
11. Core Outcome Indicators Measurement Guidelines (COI) – Online Training – IFAD
Further on the list of top United Nations Online Courses – The International Fund for Agricultural Development has offered online self-regulated training on the topic of Core Outcome Indicator measurement guidelines. This course provides a detailed explanation of how to plan, design, analyze and examine the CI outcomes. As this course is at a beginner’s level, there is no prior requirement for attending it. All those who are keen on knowing about Core Outcome Indicators should take this course.
- Understand the Core Outcome Indicators
- Analyze the data and statistics collected by IFAD
- Examine the existing Core Outcome Indicators
- Design and develop Core Outcome surveys under a project cycle
- Learn the COI measurement guidelines
- Explore the technical consultations involved in these projects
Course Duration: Self Paced
12. I Know Gender 1-2-3: Gender Concepts to get Started; International Frameworks for Gender Equality; and Promoting Gender Equality throughout the UN System – UN Women Training Centre
UN Women, in cooperation with the International Training Centre of the International Labour Organisation, has launched a virtual course for individuals, ranging from staff members to curious learners, with the international frameworks for gender equality. It is a free course that is available all around the year and provides modules from different organizations working under the United Nations. Individuals who are interested to know about existing gender issues can register for this course.
- Strengthen your awareness about gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Understand the behavioural change by the integration of a gender perspective
- Recognize international frameworks designed for gender empowerment and equality
- Realize that gender inequality is taking place in different segments of the world
- Identify the rights of women and the violence against them
- Understand the relationship between trade and gender equality
Course Duration: 2.5 hours
13. Online Classroom: Taking Sustainable Urban Mobility to The Next Level – UN-Habitat
UN habitat has provided an online course on its digital platform on the topic of taking sustainable urban mobility to the next level. This course seeks to make people aware of the concepts and topics of sustainable urban mobility. With the help of no-need experts and known personalities from the private as well as public sectors, this course aims to shed light on the need for integrating sustainable open mobility. A quiz will be conducted at the end of the course to test your knowledge.
- Understand the basic concepts of sustainable urban mobility
- Recognize the need for sustainable urban mobility systems
- Identify the existing policies for integrating sustainable urban mobility
- Develop and analyze the policy instruments for integrated urban mobility
- Gain knowledge through interactive discussions with professionals
- Analyze the low-carbon mobility solutions
Course Duration: Self Paced
14. Leadership and Innovation Program – World Bank Group
The World Bank Group, in partnership with the Republic of Korea’s Ministry of Economic and Finance, has offered an online self-regulated course on its open learning campus. This course is designed specifically for providing focus to the innovation program through the skills of leadership. It explores the qualities required to manage organizational change through experience-based models. Individuals, be they amateurs or professionals, can take this course to polish their skills.
- Understand the requirement of leadership skills in the innovation program
- Knowing what innovation capabilities of officials are the key elements in the innovation program
- Address the needs in human resource management
- Strengthen capacities by learning in detail about them
- Study in-depth the result-oriented models and techniques
- Gain experience or a practical hands-on learning project
Duration: Self Paced
15. System of Environmental-Economic Accounting (SEEA) – United Nations Statistics Division
Last on the list of United Nations online courses is System of Environmental-Economic Accounting (SEEA). The e-learning platform of the United Nations statistics division has provided an opportunity for all young and interested learners to know about the system of environmental-economic accounting. This is an online self-guided course that adopts a multipurpose approach in guiding individuals about the methods to measure the interaction between the environment and the economy. There are no previous knowledge requirements for enrollment in this course.
- Introduce yourself to the concept of the system of environmental-economic accounting
- Analyze the framework of SEEA
- Understand the loopholes and challenges of SEEA
- Try and overcome these issues by developing strategies
- Establish a relationship between the environment in the economy
- Work towards achieving the sustainable development goals
Course Duration: Self Paced