Nursing leadership and management are healthcare fields that require a high level of knowledge and expertise. Although this quality and others are similar between nursing leadership and nursing management, these two roles differ in several aspects. The variations between a nursing leader and a nurse manager include differences in the responsibilities they take on, the credentials they possess and the tasks they perform. In this article, we define nursing leadership and management roles, explain the major differences between the two and discuss the qualities of successful nursing leaders and managers.
List of The Best Nursing Leadership And Management Courses Online
1. Certification in Nursing Leadership And Management
The certificate program in Nursing Leadership and Management is designed to meet the needs of nurses currently employed or aspiring to be employed in leadership and management roles within healthcare settings. This program builds foundational leadership and management skills to prepare students for roles as nursing administrators and nurse managers.
- Gain a deeper understanding of Historical Foundations of Health Education
- Develop an understanding of general communication strategies and motivational axioms
- Familiarize the students with principles of clinical teaching
- Gain enhanced knowledge on Teaching Strategies and Importance of Community Education
- Understand knowledge dissemination and sharing
Course Duration: 3 months
2. Nursing Informatics Leadership Theory And Practice
- Evaluate effective leadership styles for leadership in nursing informatics in clinical or academic contexts to improve leadership success.
- Discover core values that support effective nursing informatics leadership in academic and clinical contexts to inform development of a personal leadership mission statement.
- Discover competing values and polarities related to knowledge leadership and management to promote successful leadership collaboration.
- Determine your personal informatics leadership style based on results from the Minnesota Informatics Leadership Inventory to inform successful leadership practice.
- Discuss the value and importance of foresight leadership in nursing informatics to anticipate trends and consequences that are likely to transform the learning health care system
Course Duration: 18 hours
3. Nursing Leadership & Management (NLM)
This eight-month graduate certificate program is designed to meet the needs of nurses currently employed or aspiring to be employed in leadership and management roles within health-care settings. It builds foundational skills to prepare you for leadership postions. This program provides specialized training but does not qualify you to work as a nurse in the province. Please see the College of Nurses of Ontario for their guidelines.
- Leadership theory and practices
- Nursing informatics
- Clinical leadership decision-making
- Communication as a nursing leader
Course Duration: 8 months
4. Certificate in Nursing Leadership And Management
The certificate in nursing leadership and management is an online term-based program specifically designed to meet the needs of healthcare professionals starting their career in, or aspiring towards, leadership positions in healthcare. Our program is relevant across healthcare environments and will benefit individuals working in acute, long-term and community care throughout Canada. This certificate will provide you with the opportunity to become a strong leader in your field and the ability to make a positive impact in the healthcare environment.
- Exemplary leadership
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Effective human resource management
- Excellent team building and conflict resolution
- Quality patient care monitoring
- Creating healthy and effective workplace cultures
Course Duration: Self Paced
5. Nursing Management And Leadership Course
This course provides a basic and general knowledge of Nursing Management and Leadership and describes the basic features of leadership and practical applications in terms of leadership, personal development and work experience. By following this course, you will make significant progress in Leadership and in your business life. This course, where leadership courses are taught through Nursing Management and Leadership, will open new doors for you in your business life.
The information presented in this course is constantly updated. We know that the Udemy certificate you will receive will offer you many opportunities in your life and career, as well as improving yourself. Increasing the lessons by continuously adding the information in this course by your teachers, academics and expert technical team requires you to check your course at frequent intervals. This course, which is your lifelong access, will continue to provide you with more up-to-date and different approach.
- When you finish this course, you will learn everything about Nursing Management and Leadership.
- You’ll find plenty of opportunities in these courses, including traditional degrees. Why not master’s and doctorate for professional knowledge?
- Virtual learning boosts your careers more than face-to-face classes. You will get Udemy certification from this course.
- If you wish, you can also operate the table in the course to e-government. In order to be a more successful educator, this course includes basic and special info
Course Duration: 7.2 hours
6. Nursing Leadership & Management 9038* (online)
This self-paced online course will explore the constructs of Leadership, and the role of Nurse Manager utilizing the concepts of self-awareness, professional communication, power/influence, ethics, self, resiliency and emotional/social intelligence. With emphasis on leadership within the role of nurse, this course examines the inherent responsibility for self-discovery and reflection, as well as the practical application of formalized management. Focus will be on planning and organizing aspects, organizational culture, clarifying roles and objectives, monitoring operations and performance using relational engagement and HR management.
- Explores relevant social issues, cultural awareness and political stimulus in relation to managing with intention to address racial inequities in healthcare
- Gain an understanding of bias, prejudice and racism, to understand and confront the roles nursing plays in perpetuating injustices
- Engage in reflective activities, examine core values, and explore how history has informed current practice
- Develop a personal leadership plan that identifies how leaders and managers can work to breakdown cultural barriers in practice
Course Duration: 100 hours (12-14 hours/week)
7. Online Professional Certificate in Nursing Leadership
This two-course online certificate program is open to all licensed registered nurses (RN) interested in adding a leadership credential to their professional resumes. Through a combination of discussions, writing assignments, theoretical studies, and questionnaires promoting self-reflection, you will learn.
- Leadership models
- Skills, strengths, and traits of effective leaders
- Emotional intelligence
- Conflict resolution
- Interpersonal communication
- Team building and collaboration
- Cultural competence
- Labor relations management
- Change management
- Ethical considerations in leadership
Course Duration: 8 weeks
8. Certificate in Nursing Leadership and Management- American College of Education
Are you a nurse with your eye on a leadership role? Are you a new nursing manager or director and want to enhance your skills and marketability? If nursing leadership is your goal, this is the program for you. This graduate-level certificate program will prepare you for the challenges you’ll face as a leader in today’s complex and demanding healthcare environment. Discover how to model leadership that reflects ethical and critical decision-making, collaborative relationships, responsible fiscal stewardship, and principles of quality improvement.
- Demonstrate the elements of human caring and legal and ethical principles into the role of the nurse executive.
- Integrate theory, evidence, and inter-professional perspectives to improve nursing practice, and outcomes within systems.
- Contribute to efficient management of financial and human resources in the development, delivery, and the evaluation of patient-centered care.
- Apply quality improvement methods, tools, and performance measures to guide patient centered care and inform organizational decision making.
- Apply effective communication techniques including use of technology in the role of the nurse leader.
Course Duration: 7 months
9. Nursing Leadership | The Basics
If you’ve found yourself in charge of nursing shifts or a team, yet felt like you’ve had little or no training or support, then stress follows. You can expect a comprehensive guide covering everything from the top 10 “roles” you play as a nursing leader, the soft skills you need, delegation skills, negotiation skills, leverage initiative in team members, demystify power and much, much more. This course is a hands-on guide for exactly what you need to do and the roles you’ll fulfil. It’s the fastest way to becoming an empowered nursing leader.
- Explore styles of negotiation to identify strategies that sit well with your values
- Define the essential “gates” of negotiation to ensure that you’re prepared for the terrain ahead
- Identify the top 10 mistakes new team leaders make during negotiations
- Use a model for negotiation broadly in all aspects of your life
- Understand the power of delegation
- Discover symptoms of pseudo-delegation and what it means for you
- Apply changes to your thinking to alleviate clinical workload challenges
- Use proven models to structure your delegation tactics
Course Duration: 4.5 hours
10. Diploma in Nursing Leadership and Care Management
Discover the essential role of a nurse leader today, and learn more about nursing leadership and care management skills.
This free online nursing course overviews the most important elements of a nursing leader’s daily role. The nursing profession has evolved significantly over the years. Today, professional nurses are also team leaders and healthcare teachers. By the end of the course you will have learned the skills and approaches used by nurse leaders to improve healthcare delivery, and will have greatly boosted your care management skills.
- Identify the factors that define team nursing and the responsibilities of a team leader
- Examine the steps in the teaching learning process and what factors affect learning
- Define the principles for effective teacher-learning and the three types of learning
- Identify nursing interventions needed to communicate with a patient who is blind, deaf, or speaks a foreign language
- Examine the factors of transcultural nursing and sociocultural beliefs about illness to include causes, cures, and nursing implications
- Cite facts related to the surgical experience and its associated nursing implications
Course Duration: 6-10 hours
11. Nursing Leadership And Management
Nursing is a global profession that occurs within complex environments. Often nursing managers are responsible for being leaders and change agents within the profession and successfully managing teams. To be a successful leader or manager, students need to understand the challenges that currently impact on healthcare. This unit assists students in developing leadership knowledge and skills to achieve better outcomes for patients and create positive working environments. Unit content explores theories, concepts and leadership styles to help nurses further development their leadership potential and the skills of motivating, coaching, and mentoring.
- Conceptually map nursing leadership theory, practice and contemporary issues in a globalised environment taking a critical perspective.
- Critically reflect on interpersonal skills as a leader and/or manager.
- Evaluate and assess a leader’s actions using an integrated theoretical framework.
- Exemplify enhanced personal knowledge, skills and attitudes (including cultural competence) as they relate to the effective exercise of nursing leadership across boundaries.
- Articulate a personal leadership statement and action plan that demonstrates sound critical social analysis and a constructed understanding of what is an authentic leader.
- Apply an evidence-based approach to leadership and management in health to tackle an identified problem as part of a team.
Course Duration: Self Paced
12. Nursing (NURS) 432
Nursing 432: Management and Leadership in Nursing Practice is an introduction to the theory and practice of nursing leadership and management. The emphasis is on understanding the key skills employed by highly successful nurse leaders/managers such as thinking critically, communicating effectively, handling conflict, delegating successfully, building teams, controlling resources, improving quality, managing stress, and leading change. In addition there is a unit dedicated to multiple aspects of managing human resources.
- Compare and contrast nursing leadership and nursing management;
- Explore the organizational context within which nursing leaders/managers function;
- Discuss the skills required by nurse managers/leaders to create an effective work environment;
- Describe human resource procedures and processes utilized by nurse leaders/managers;
- Practice selected management/leadership skills through a virtual preceptorship experience; and
- Experience a deepened confidence in your ability to be a person of influence.
Course Duration: Self Paced