Mechanical engineering is the study, design, development, construction, and testing of mechanical and thermal sensors and devices. Mechanical engineering has its roots in the industrial revolution with the advent of the steam engine, automated manufacturing, and the demands of railroad transportation requiring increasingly innovative and sophisticated engineering solutions. Today, mechanical engineering careers focus on creating technologies to meet a wide range of human needs.
What do mechanical engineers do? They work in offices and the field, visiting worksites when a problem or piece of equipment needs their personal attention, and overseeing elements of construction. Mechanical engineers work in engineering services, research and development, and manufacturing.
List of The Best Mechanical Engineering Online Courses
1. Mechanical Engineering And Electrical Engineering Explained
Want to know how things work? How electricity is generated and transmitted to your home? How engines are cooled? Or how do hydroelectric power stations work? Well, this is the right course for you! This course contains over 10 hours of engineering related video tutorials.
Interactive 3D models are used extensively to show you machinery components and how they can be put together to form machines that complete useful work. 3D models are also used to show you how various power stations work. The course is packed with 2D images, 2D animations, Downloadable Infographics, Downloadable Quiz Booklets and 3D animations.
- Apply best practices and knowledge to think through a problem rather than try to memorise the solution.
- Be able to identify many electrical and mechanical machines.
- Apply engineering concepts across multiple engineering disciplines.
Course Duration: 10.2 hours
2. Introduction to Engineering And Design
This introductory course focuses on specific engineering fields including Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering. You will hear directly from industry experts who will provide insights into particular design challenges within their specific fields of engineering.
Everything learned in this course will be applied to the “Design Challenge” which enables you to apply learnings in real time— designing, constructing, and testing a prototype (course options allow for CAD based or actual physical build) to solve a real world engineering problem.
This course is an excellent roadmap for learners seeking to broaden their engineering knowledge and to apply engineering and design concepts to their current work.
- Foundational knowledge of the primary fields of engineering, including Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering.
- Techniques and applications of the engineering design process.
- How to conceptualize, design, build, and assess a prototype that solves an engineering problem.
Course Duration: 3 weeks (2-3 hours/week)
3. Air Moving Systems And Fire Protection
This online engineering PDH course provides some fundamental facts that will prove valuable in fire emergency. It describes basic information on fire protection systems and discusses some typical preparations needed for designing smoke control systems. This 2 PDH online course is applicable to mechanical and HVAC engineers, process engineers, architects, building designers, contractors, facility managers who are interested in gaining a better understanding in air moving systems and fire protection.
- The use of HVAC systems and dedicated fans for smoke control
- The function of dampers in control of fire and smoke
- The leakage classification of smoke dampers
- The use of compartmentation as a passive fire protection strategy
- The use of dilution as an active fire protection strategy
- The use of pressurization as an active fire protection strategy for emergency exits and fire-fighters operations
- The use of airflow system as an active fire protection strategy for railroads and tunnels
- The use of buoyancy as a fire protection strategy of large ceiling spaces
Course Duration: Self Paced
4. Mechanical Design And Product Development Process
Product development is the process through which a mechanical product is realized from just an idea into a fully detailed entity ready for production. This course is an attempt to cover that process at an introductory level covering all the key concepts, ideas and details from a perspective of a Mechanical design engineer.
The course is structured in a way as to build on the product development process step by step . From the way an Idea is generated, incubated, to how a concept is generated, evaluated, how specifications are created and set towards the system design of a product , followed by a overview of activities in Detailed design and prototyping.
- What is the product development process?
- Various facets of Idea generation for a new product
- Identifying an opportunity for product development
- The nuances of Concept evaluation and selection
- What is product architecture , system design and detailed design
- A Holistic overview of the process with many examples
Course Duration: 4.5 hours
5. Mechanical Systems of Engineering
Mechanical System Engineering / Basics of Mechanical Engineering / Elements of Mechanical Engineering: This course is designed for first year Engineering Students of all branches. The said course is designed in view of understanding basic mechanical concepts to all Engineers because Mechanical Engineering is a vast branch and its basics are needed for each branch such as Electrical .Electronics, Civil, IT, Computer etc. That is why this subject is included in first year syllabus.
- To identify the sources of energy and their conversions
- To explain the basic concept of engineering thermodynamics and its application
- To understanding the specifications of vehicles
- To get acquainted with vehicle systems
- To introduce manufacturing processes applying proper method to produce components
- To be able to select and compare domestic appliances
Course Duration: 2 hours
6. Python for Mechanical Engineers
Python is an effective programming language used in every field of data science and engineering that you can effortlessly learn. Given that it is one of the most popular programming languages in modern times, many students are now looking for the best Python course. Python for mechanical engineers is a two-month online certification course at Skill-Lync where engineering students learn how to use this high-level, object-oriented, general-purpose, and open-source programming language.
It assists mechanical engineers in completing their coding quickly, and it does not consume much as not much manual effort is essential. In addition, it has become crucial for each programmer to comprehend all the versions of Python. By enrolling on this Python course for mechanical engineers at Skill-Lync, you can better learn all the core concepts of Python and how to use them to enhance your career to gain better job prospects.
- Solving a differential equation
- Curve fitting and data analysis
- Finding the minimal roots using Newton Raphson method
Course Duration: 2 months
7. Basics of Engineering Mechanics
This online engineering PDH course presents the basics of modern mechanics developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late seventeenth century. This course describes the effect of static and dynamic forces on objects and includes a discussion of the forces commonly encountered in daily life. Also this course defines energy, work and power; identifies their various forms; and discusses the conservation of energy, work, and power including the measurement and calculation of each.
This 3 PDH online course is applicable to mechanical and civil engineers, facility and maintenance personnel, and other technical staff who are interested in understanding the principles of engineering mechanics.
- Understanding Newton’s Law of motion
- Learning the Principles of Momentum
- Understanding the applications of Newton’s Law including force and weight, free body diagrams, forces of equilibrium, and types of forces
- Learning the principles of Energy, Work and Power
- Understanding the Law of Conservation of Energy
Course Duration: Self Paced
8. Basics of Sheet Metal Design for Mechanical Design Engineers
Sheet metal design is an important skill in industry today and will be in the future. Due to its versatility designing with sheet metal finds applications in almost all major industries where physical products are manufactured. This course covers the essential basic theoretical and practical knowledge required for Designing Sheet metal parts aimed at Design engineers who are designing products. So if you are a student exploring the world of product design or a design engineer who wants to make products with sheet metal then this courses will be a good value addition. The course is designed with short to the point explanations with focus on right understanding towards thoughtful design.
- How to design effectively with sheet metal
- Guidelines to be followed when designing for sheet metal
- Understand the principles at play behind the factors considered in design
- How Material properties affect the Part quality and design considerations
- Designing simple sheet metal brackets using Fusion 360
Course Duration: 7 hours
9. Mechanical Engineering Basics: Education, Courses, Career Path
In this course you will learn what it takes to become a Mechanical engineer, starting from the educational background all the way to the various career paths that you can take. This Mechanical Engineering Course serves as a great overall walkthrough for anyone who is interested in learning about the potential for mechanical engineering in order to know if this is the right path for them. we will explore the educational requirements to become a mechanical engineer in addition to the various courses covered at the university level all the way to the point of graduation finally we will explore the various career paths a mechanical engineer can take in the market.
- All about Mechanical Engineering
- How to become a Mechanical Engineer
- What is the educational requirement to become a mechanical engineer
- The possible career paths of a Mechanical Engineer
- What are the different specialized Courses that can be taken
Course Duration: 1.5 hours
10. MATLAB for Mechanical Engineers
MATLAB is a platform used to study data sets, develop models of real-world systems, create algorithms, and solve equations. Engineers use MATLAB to develop, design, simulate, and test their models before they can be developed in the real world. In the field of mechanical engineering, MATLAB is used for solving problems related to dynamic and static systems, mechanical vibrations, control systems, statics, and more. This makes MATLAB a fundamental software tool for mechanical engineers.
- Understand the basics of the MATLAB UI.
- Write scripts to simulate forward kinematics and the air standard cycle.
- Solve mathematical equations and plot graphs using MATLAB.
- Get hands-on experience with writing MATLAB scripts to simulate a variety of systems and problems.
- Complete challenges and projects designed by experts according to industry specifications that require practical application of the concepts learned throughout the course.
Course Duration: 6 weeks
11. Diesel Engine Fundamentals (Mechanical Engineering)
Without exception, the reciprocating piston engine is the most influential machine ever invented by mankind. From its early beginnings as a steam engine, the piston engine has revolutionised the way we live, work and travel. This course will teach you about this truly amazing machine.
This course is designed to take you from zero to hero concerning combustion engine knowledge. Even if you already have some background knowledge, this course will serve as an efficient refresher. Whatever your level of understanding, or engineering background (mechanical engineering, automobile engineering, automotive engineering, oil and gas, HVAC, power engineering, chemical engineering etc.), we can guarantee you will have never taken an engineering course like this one (unless you have taken one of our other courses.
- Identify all common engine components.
- Know common engine terminology.
- Know how four and two stroke engines work.
- Know how the engine oil, water, fuel air, exhaust and electrical systems work.
- Identify a diesel or petrol engine just by looking at it.
- Learn why diesel engines are more efficient.
- Learn how a turbocharger works (and supercharger).
- A lot about mechanical engineering!
- A lot about automobile engineering!
- A lot about automotive engineering!
- And a lot more!
Course Duration: 5 hours
12. Internal Combustion Engine Basics- Alison
This free online Mechanical Engineering course will familiarise you with the inner workings of Internal Combustion (IC) engines. Internal Combustion engines are at work all around us, used to power a wide variety of machines. But how do these astounding and often complex machines work? This course uses 2D and 3D models to bring the inner workings of internal combustion engines to life. Start this course today to learn more about the IC engine.
- Describe how petrol and diesel engines work
- Examine how internal combustion (IC) engines work
- Outline how two stroke engines work
- Outline how four stroke engines work
- Discuss what the differences between petrol/gasoline and diesel engines are
- Identify all of an engine’s main components and their function (crankshaft, piston, camshaft etc.)
Course Duration: 3 hours
13. Mechanical Engineering & HVAC Training- Reed
Mechanical engineering— without it, we would not have engines to run cars, generators for power, elevators or even air conditioning. So, while you might not even realise it, you most likely use something that has been mechanically engineered every day. After surveying thousands of learners just like you and considering their valuable feedback, this all-in-one Mechanical Engineering & HVAC bundle has been designed by industry experts. We prioritised what learners were looking for in a complete package and developed this in-demand Mechanical Engineering & HVAC course that will enhance your skills and prepare you for the competitive job market.
Also, our Mechanical Engineering & HVAC experts are available to answer your queries and help you along your learning journey. Advanced audiovisual learning modules of these courses are broken down into little chunks so that you can learn at your own pace without being overwhelmed by too much material at once.
- Understand the basic principles of engineering mechanics, including statics and dynamics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of thermodynamics and heat transfer.
- Analyze and design mechanical systems and devices using knowledge of mechanics and materials science.
- Develop proficiency in fluid mechanics and its application to real-world problems.
- Understand the principles of structural analysis and design.
- Demonstrate proficiency in machine design and dynamics.
Course Duration: 37 hours