If you wonder how is life under the sea, how do the deep-sea organisms interact with the environment, and understand the effects of human activity on animals; Cheers, you could be a future Marine Biologist. Here are some of the best marine biology online courses that could lead you to the world under oceans!
Marine Biology combines with subjects like biochemistry, pathology, ocean farming, ecology, etc. which provides a deep root knowledge about everything related to the subject before you become a professional. It has openings for a variety of career options starting from researchers to fieldwork experts. Explore the opportunities given below to pursue your dream job and lead a marine life.
List – Marine Biology Online Courses and Certifications
1. Oceanography: A Key To Better Understand Our World (Coursera)
Are you interested in how life around the ocean works? If yes, this course will help you to explore and learn about the ocean floor, sea-satellite analysis, marine life diversity, the chemistry of oceans, and a large variety of oceanographic situations.
This course is recommended for everyone, even the ones who don’t have any previous knowledge about this topic. It is informative, and most importantly delivered simply, therefore easily understood by everyone. The aspects were unique and gives a good insight into the oceanic world.
- Diversified marine life, currents on the ocean, floating ice, and wave formation of every kind.
- The classification and formation of the ocean floor are also mentioned distinctively.
- Understanding the oceanic world in a unique yet simple way.
- Flexible deadlines and an experienced instructor make it easier and informative.
Course Duration: 29 hours.
2. BIO308: Marine Biology (saylor.org)
This course explores the food chain, exclusive species, and the ecological conditions of the marine world and how they are interrelated with our lives. The topics are well-explained with adequate information. Also, it provides quizzes on each topic to check up on your understanding.
The course is for beginners to explore the subject and the biodiversity of marine life. The study materials that can be downloaded are available in the most common formats (.doc, .ppt, .xls). The mentors specify the details in a manner so that everyone can figure them out.
- Exploration of numerous exclusive species and their life history.
- Discovering the physiological and ecological conditions of the ocean, and how it affects marine organisms.
- Learning about major types of threats, causes, and effects that are faced by the marine communities.
- The researches that are currently going on the topics of marine biology.
Course Duration: 60 hours.
3. Ocean Science in Action: Addressing Marine Ecosystems and Food Security (Future Learn)
This topic will cover the usage of marine robotics to address the challenges of sustainable use of living marine resources in a range of case studies. The course also covers the main principles required to explain the dynamics of marine ecosystems.
This course is for anyone with an interest in ocean management and its conservation, the various techniques used to study the diversity, and the impact of climate change on the marine environment.
- Highlights the impact of climate change on the marine environment.
- Application of marine technologies used to address the use of living marine resources.
- Measuring and monitoring the oceans through numerical models, ocean robots, and satellites.
- Exploring the interests from the new inventions.
Course Duration: 4 weeks.
4. One Planet, One Ocean (SDG Academy)
In this course, we will discover the research that is going on for preserving marine life and resources. Conservation of oceans and their ecosystems is an important aspect of their syllabus. We learn about how human interactions with the ocean are established and solutions to support both sustainable use and managing them.
This course is for people who intermediate knowledge about our Earth like climate-change activists, sustainable development, and students who are learning about oceanography, environmental studies, and related topics. It is a self-paced course taught by the world’s leading experts on ocean science.
- Sustainable solution options An introduction to biology, physics, geology, and chemistry of the ocean.
- Impact of oceans on human interaction.
- Related economics of ocean ecosystems.
- Sustainable solution options for natural resource use.
Course Duration: 6 weeks.
5. Large Marine Ecosystems: Assessment and Management (Coursera)
Offered by the UNDP and UNESCO-IOC program, this course introduces the concept and practice of ecosystem-based management. It also explores the mechanism used for assessment, planning, and implementation. Effective management is showcased through various projects that have been done around the world.
This course is for people who are interested in the assessment of Large Marine Ecosystems and the strategies that should be applied in order to successfully manage them. It will deepen the understanding of the ecosystem and will help you to actively use the knowledge to advance the sustainable development of the world’s oceans.
- Introducing the concepts and tools for managing large marine ecosystems.
- Shifting from single sector-based to multi-sector assessment and management within the spatial domain of the world’s 66 Large Marine Ecosystems.
- The challenges and issues faced through effective management with the help of examples.
Course Duration: 25 hours
6. Our Global Ocean – An Introduction Course (Smithsonian X)
This introductory course covers the basics of the ocean, marine life, and interdependency and connection of the terrestrial and ocean lives. It starts from exploring how our lives began on this planet to the current scenario of our development and functioning to date.
This course is for beginners who are interested in the topic and wants to know the basic things about oceans and marine life. It’s a self-paced course with an experienced instructor from the National Museum of Natural History who will impart his theories in a manner that is understandable by the masses.
- Basics of oceanography – including currents, circulation, abiotic conditions, ecosystems, and zonation.
- Evolutionary history of marine life.
- An overview of marine biodiversity.
- Factors impacting the health of the ocean and the counter-measures were taken.
Course Duration: 5 weeks.
7. Beneath the Blue: The Importance of Marine Sediments (Future Learn)
This course involves the study of the seafloor and learns about its part in global ecological, chemical, and physical processes. It also explores the vital role of seafloor plays in providing ecosystem services to society. We don’t really care about the marine sediment but it is of plenty importance and is an important topic to study about.
This course is for undergraduate students who would love to take marine biology as a topic study further or have a passion for learning marine science and its diversity, global system, ecosystem services, or human interaction with the marine environment. It doesn’t have to be students only, teachers or anyone who have preliminary knowledge about interest in marine science can learn a lot from this topic.
- Biodiversity evolving over geological time.
- Diversity of marine sediments and how communities of organisms inhabit them.
- Demonstration of an understanding of functional groups.
- Marine communities deliver important services that benefit humans.
Course Duration: 3 weeks.
- Exploring Our Ocean (Future Learn)
The University of Southampton with Future Learn has brought an interesting course where we discover how our lives impact the ocean depths and marine life. It will introduce you to the ocean’s wonders and the diversity of life in oceans.
This course is simple and for anyone who is interested in the marine world, how we are dependent and learning to protect it. It doesn’t matter if you have experience or new to the topic, the topics are unique and easy to understand. Therefore, from beginner to advanced, everyone is welcome here to join and learn through fun.
- Adaptations to life in deep ocean habitats.
- Personal effectiveness in limiting potential impacts on ocean environments.
- Identifying key problems on seawater circulation.
- Estimate the number of undiscovered new species.
Course Duration: 4 weeks.
8. The Complete Marine Biology 101 Course, Beginner to Advanced (Udemy)
Ocean enthusiasts and conservationists who want to know about the life in the ocean, marine habitat, and everything underwater, this course will help you to explore through everything you are looking for. From coral reefs to the deep sea gain insight into many marine environments and organisms.
This course is perfect for beginners to intermediate for learning the basics as well as a refresher for the people with extensive knowledge in this field. The best part of this course it includes both topics from the basics like adaptation, evolution, habitats to transition into some of the advanced topics like climate and anthropogenic impacts, adaptation techniques, etc.
- Learn about physiology, lifestyle, behaviors, distribution, and biogeography of marine species.
- Gain insight on conservation measures, regulation, and protection of the marine communities.
- Complex forms of evolution and adaptation in the marine world.
- The application of the learned knowledge to your marine career.
Course Duration: 1 hour and 10 minutes.
9. Scripps Institution of Oceanography: Marine Biology
This course from Scripps Institution of Oceanography is designed for high school students for having a clear understanding of marine biology. It highlights the diverse groups of marine organisms, variety of ecosystems, and habitats. Also, the adaptation for survival in marine is wonderfully explained throughout the course.
The lectures, labs, projects, and discussions will help the students to learn about the diversity of ocean environments and how current events such as overfishing, ocean acidification, and industrial wastes hamper marine activities. Mini experiments and demonstrations are also part of the curriculum.
- Understanding of marine ecology, taxonomy, and diversity.
- Awareness of current events regarding the ocean and its overall health.
- Students are provided with the opportunity to pursue their interests through guided independent research.
FAQs on Marine Biology Online Courses
1. Is it possible to get an oceanography online degree?
Yes, nowadays online courses are available for oceanography that can help you get a degree online.
2. Name the marine biology introduction courses.
Some of the Marine Biology introduction courses are:
- Our Global Ocean – An Introduction Course (Smithsonian X)
- The Complete Marine Biology 101 Course, Beginner to Advanced (Udemy)
- Exploring Our Ocean (Future Learn)
- One Planet, One Ocean (SDG Academy)
- BIO308: Marine Biology (saylor.org)
3. Are marine biologists in demand?
Jobs in this field are limited and competition is strong. Job growth for zoologists and wildlife biologists as a whole will be 3-7% through 2022, slower than average for all occupations.
Hope it helped you find suitable marine biology online courses. Learn and share.