Farm management is the collective term for various management strategies and methods that are employed to keep a farm productive and profitable. The process of this type of management is often associated with large commercial farms, although many of the same methods can be used with equal success on a small family-owned farm. Depending on the size of the operation, the management process may require the services of a single farm manager or a group of managers who oversee various aspects of the overall project.
1. Farm Management
The Farm Management degree at SCTCC is designed to educate farm owners/operators and those about to go into the farming industry to meet and exceed both personal and business goals.
At SCTCC, we have designed our curriculum to be individualized toward the needs of each farm owner pursuing the program. Our faculty work one-on-one with you on your farm. There is no traditional classroom work for the Farm Management degree, but there are a few seminars and sessions at the SCTCC campus that are required for the program.
In our program, students will learn economic principles and agricultural practices used to make decisions about alternative ways of using land. We also teach our students, labor, capital, and management ability to make a profit in farming.
- Apply principles of global and civic responsibility to a variety of business decisions
- Practice safety procedures as applicable to his/her farm business
- Exhibit professional characteristics, behaviors, and attitudes within the scope of production agriculture
- Use appropriate technologies to facilitate effective communication as it relates to farming operations
- Use effective oral and written communication skills in a variety of business-related activities.
- Complete assigned tasks and duties within the legal and ethical parameters expected within production agriculture.
Course Duration: Self Paced
2. Sustainable Agricultural Land Management
This course will cover the agricultural and urban water quality issues in Florida, their bases, land and nutrient management strategies, and the science and policy behind the best management practices (BMPs). Students will learn to evaluate BMP research and analyze its role in determining practices and policies that protect water quality.
Course Duration: 19 hours
3. Weed Control Online Course
This course provides valuable learning for land managers, farmers, gardeners, orchardists, market gardeners, landscapers, spray contractors, nurserymen or anyone else concerned with the control of weeds.
- Distinguish between different types of weeds, and identify common weed species, growing in your locality.
- Explain the characteristics of different weed control methods.
- Explain the use of chemical herbicides to control weeds.
- Specify appropriate weed control methods, for different types of situations.
- Determine appropriate techniques for the safe application of chemical herbicide in a specific situation.
- Explain different non-chemical weed control methods.
- Devise appropriate methods for control of weeds, for specific problems, in both the horticultural and agricultural industries
- Determine a detailed weed control program for a significant weed problem.
Course Duration: 100 hours (12 months)
4. Certificate of Farm Management
In today’s world, the ability to produce a viable animal or crop production business is no guarantee for success. A critical part of the process involves proper management. This course will improve your capacity to manage a farm or agricultural enterprise more effectively and is ideal for farmer-owners, farm managers, retail farm suppliers or those interested in an agricultural career.
The Certificate of Farm Management is an online professional development program that will give insights into how to make the optimal choices when it comes to planning and investing resources into a farming enterprise. You will learn about managing staff, machinery, water, soil and the relevant regulations and legislation applicable.
- Able to analyse, diagnose and make sound decisions relating to the management of a farm business
- Learn about the strategic planning involved, and how to undertake a business assessment, viability analysis and agricultural business plan
- Study a range of production systems and the HR strategies and resources involved
Course Duration: 50 hours
5. Challenges of Agribusiness Management
The goal of this course is to understand the challenges and opportunities of agribusiness nowadays. From farms to retailers, from input providers to traders, all the diverse players of this value chain interact a complex business environment in which nature, policy, technology and management strategies have to be considered to overcome future challenges and seize upcoming opportunities. To understand such complexity we will take Italy as a large, open-air lab in which all major phenomena and business dynamics influencing agribusiness worldwide coexist and clearly show their effects. History, heritage and tradition, technology and innovation, brilliant farmers and multinational companies, all in a constrained, diverse physical and business landscape, Italy is the perfect sampling area for agribusiness. In our learning experience we will benefit from the knowledge and experience of different Bocconi University Professors and several CEOs and top executives who are re-shaping agribusiness concepts.
- Heritage and Excellence in Italian Agriculture
- Challenges of the Global Agro-System
- Innovation in Agribusiness
- Developing new business concepts
Course Duration: 5 hours
6. Farming Management- LearnDirect
Have you always wanted to work your own farm, or have the land, but not the skills? This unique course in Farming and Management will provide you with the skills needed to achieve these tasks. Due to a number of key factors, such as cost and suitable knowledge, the people who are most likely to become farmers are those people who have been raised on or have lived on a farm. But this is not always the case, and recently there have been increasing numbers of people who are leaving urban lifestyles for a farming life.
Hobby farmers often start with a small allotment, while maintaining their mainstream work or income until they are comfortable about making a living from their “hobby”. Some progress to larger properties once they have established the skills, knowledge, and financial backing to enable them to farm profitably on a larger scale.
- Production Systems mentioned in this unit and explain each in detail
- Summarise the factors involved in breeding healthy livestock
- Examine the considerations to be made when managing a pasture
- Examine how best to manage crops profitably
Course Duration: 14 hours
7. Farm Management BAG104
If you want to know how to safely manage farm operations and increase revenue what are you waiting for? The course will teach you how to analyse, diagnose and make decisions related to management of a farm business. The course relates to the management of all resources including, viable production, staffing, physical resources, and natural resources. You will also learn about: Strategic planning, Whole farm planning, Preparing a business plan and Business Assessment.
- Develop strategic planning methods for an agricultural business.
- Learn how to prepare a Farm Business Plan.
- Develop methods for assessing the operations of a Farm Business.
- Analyse the viability of different production enterprises: assessing profits, risk analysis, cost efficiency, quality standards, financial records
- Develop strategies for managing different farm production enterprises, covering workplace organisation and crop scheduling.
- Plan the management of human resources in a farm business covering: supervision, types of leadership/managers, orders & instruction, motivating employees, recruitment
Course Duration: 100 hours
8. Discover Best Practice Farming for a Sustainable 2050
The Discover Best Practice Farming for a Sustainable 2050 Course is based on a clear vision: imagine best practice farming for 2050, start to implement these strategies now, all the while making sure it will still be profitable. At UWA we’re doing just that with the Future Farm 2050 Project, set on a mixed-enterprise farm in Western Australia and we want you to learn how it can be done in your part of the world.Although this course is based on agriculture, it’s not only about farming. It is a multi-disciplinary course that addresses a wide range of issues confronting the industry, including rural communities, rural infrastructure and conservation of biodiversity in agriculture.
- Understand that feeding and clothing the planet requires a multi-disciplinary approach
- Explain best practices of sustainable farming and apply them in new contexts
Course Duration: 9 hours
9. Agricultural Marketing BAG304
Managing an agricultural concern is tough. Juggling competition, climate factors, and technological innovations presents challenges to even the most experienced managers and producers.
In this course, you’ll consider the continuing changes and variations that confront a rural business. The impact of climate means the rural manager has to continually consider, evaluate, assess (and reassess) often on a daily or even hourly basis, the numerous changes and types of information that may affect the rural business success. A successful rural manager also needs to understand his unique markets, and how to capitalise on market forces to maximise business profit.
- Agricultural Marketing Concepts
- Farm Marketing Objectives and Strategies
- Target Marketing
- Handling Produce
- Customer Relations
Course Duration: 100 hours
10. Growing Farms Online: Successful Whole Farm Management
Growing Farms Online: Successful Whole Farm Management provides farmers with the tools and knowledge needed to develop and manage a successful farm business. This course is for you if: You are considering starting a farm business, You are within your first five years of farming and want to grow or You are considering major changes to your farm business.
- Building the farm through smart investments in equipment and infrastructure, hiring and managing employees effectively, and monitoring energy consumption
- Developing successful markets for your farm products with strategies that are compatible with your personal and financial goals
- Strengthening your farm business through better financial management, tracking production costs and pricing
Course Duration: 3-6 hours
11. Advanced Certificate in Agriculture (Farm Management) VAG057
Farms were once most single properties, family owned and run. This situation has changed rapidly in recent times, with large companies buying up or developing multiple properties, for larger-scale farming.
The demand for professional farm managers is increasing rapidly — new approaches to productivity, sustainability, and conservation are shaking up the industry. Stay ahead of the curve with this 900-hour Advanced Certificate.
- Farm Management
- Soil Management (Agriculture)
- Animal Husbandry I (Animal Anatomy and Physiology)
- Research Project
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Industry Project I or 100 hours of approved work experience
Course Duration: 38 days
12. Agricultural Science – Gardening, Animal Farming And Aquaculture- Alison
This free online course will teach you the art, science and business of producing crops and raising livestock. Agricultural science goes beyond just planting, harvesting crops and raising animals for meat, milk, fibre or other products. With this course, you will gain knowledge of different domains of agricultural science and skills to develop sustainable agriculture, urban horticulture, aquatic and farm animal production systems and more. Explore the philosophy of harmonious integration of landscape and the concepts of permaculture.
- Define ‘agriculture’ and ‘agronomy’
- Explain the different aspects of home gardening
- Identify the different ornamental plants used in landscaping and at home
- Describe how to cut flowers and prepare them for aesthetic purposes
- State the ethics and theories of permaculture
- Discuss the best practices of aquaculture and harvesting procedures
- Compare the maintenances and breeding of beef cattle to dairy cattle
- Summarise the different storage procedures and usage of milk from your dairy cattle
Course Duration: 1.5- 3 hours