A database is a collection of information, organized in a useful manner and typically stored in a computer system.¹ For example, a list of names and phone numbers could make up a database. The names are stored in a manner that associates each one with its respective number so that users can easily look up one by knowing the other.
What is the purpose of a database? The contents of databases are organized in tables with rows and columns to allow for the easy retrieval of information. The tables can look similar to spreadsheets. While spreadsheets are designed for a smaller number of users, databases can hold much larger collections of organized information and can allow multiple users to access and search data.
List of The Best Database Online Courses
1. Introduction to Relational Database And SQL
This course teaches you how to design a relational database and how to write SQL. It covers all the important SQL statements, including CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, SELECT, ALTER, and DROP, and provides some insight into entity-relationship model design. This course is based on my on-campus teaching at colleges and comes with a mid-term project and a final project. There is no prerequisite for this course.
- Entity Relationship Model
- Relational Database
Course Duration: 8.5 hours
2. Database Design Introduction
This course familiarizes the student with the techniques necessary to properly create and normalize a relational database. This single course can help prevent the new database developer from creating mistakes that add hours and days to a development project. Information in this course is a must for anyone responsible for building and maintaining a database.
- What is a database
- Understand different types of databases
- Understand normalization
- Assign relationships
- Eliminate repetition
- Relate tables with IDs
- Design rules
Course Duration: 1.6 hours
3. The Complete Database Design & Modeling Beginners Tutorial
This tutorial is perfect for professionals, entrepreneurs or students who need to integrate databases in their projects and use data more efficiently than using Excel or simply add Database Design to their CV and make a step forward in their career. You’ll learn how to use forward engineering (a feature of MySQL Workbench) to create the actual database on MySQL Server.
- Learn what a database is
- Learn how databases work and why are they important
- Learn data modelling and the 3 levels of relational database design
- Learn what are the steps to create a sound database design
- Learn what database normalization is and how to apply 1NF, 2NF and 3FN in database design
- Learn how to build database relationships: one-to-one, many-to-one and many-to-many
- Understand better every theoretical step by following several concrete examples
- You will be able to design a relational database from scratch
- You will be able to answer the most common interview questions about databases
- You will have a concrete e-commerce database design schema to add to your portofolio
Course Duration: 2 hours
4. Meta Database Engineer Professional Certificate
- Demonstrate proficiency of SQL syntax and explain how it’s used to interact with a database.
- Create databases from scratch and learn how to add, manage and optimize your database.
- Write database driven applications in Python to connect clients to MySQL databases.
- Develop a working knowledge of advanced data modeling concepts.
Course Duration: 6 months (6 hours/week)
5. Databases for Data Scientists Specialization
We focus on the relational database which is the most widely used type of database. Relational databases have dominated the database software marketplace for nearly four decades and form a core, foundational part of software development. In this specialization you will learn about database design, database software fundamentals, and how to use the Structured Query Language (SQL) to work with databases. The specialization, will conclude with an overview of future trends in databases, including non-relational databases (NoSQL) and Big Data. Upon completion of this specialization you will be well prepared to design and create efficient and effective relational databases, fill them with data, and work with them using SQL.
- Design effective, efficient databases through normalization and data modelling
- Develop expertise in programming with the Structured Query Language (“SQL”)
- Knowledge about database operations, data warehouse, big data, and NoSQL
- Create Entity Relationship Models and Entity Relationship Diagrams
Course Duration: 4 months (6 hours/week)
6. Database Systems Concepts & Design
This course presents an example of applying a database application development methodology to a major real-world project.
- Understand and apply the concepts of data independence, database and database management system architecture, and the role and placement of a database management system the application stack
- Understand and apply the theoretical foundation of relational databases and query languages to create SQL data structure definitions and queries that meet identified requirements
- Create a relational database application, including the requirement analysis, specification, design and implementation of relational database applications
- Evaluate alternative internal schema structures and create indices for efficient database operation
- Understand the concepts of database access control and SQL injection
Course Duration: 16 weeks
7. Introduction to Database Design
The Online Course in Introduction to Database Design provides you with the fundamental knowledge of designing simple databases by means of entity relationship diagrams and the implementation of these designs in a relational database management system. Effective databases are essential tools in the contemporary business environment, and the ability to store, modify, extract and search for information through databases is a valuable skill in this environment. During the course, you will also become familiar with the fundamentals of structured query language (SQL), learn how to design simple small-scale databases, including how to functionally apply SQL to implement and manipulate such databases.
- Introduction to Database Concepts
- Entity Relationship Diagrams
- Getting Started with Relational Database Management Systems
- Applying the Relational Model in Relational Database Management Systems
Course Duration: Self Paced
8. Introduction to Databases
In this course, you will be introduced to databases and explore the modern ways in which they are used. Learn to distinguish between different types of database management systems then practice basic creation and data selection with the use of Structured Query Language (SQL) commands.
- Concepts and principles that underpin how databases work .
- Plan and execute a simple database development project .
Course Duration: 27 hours
9. Complete Microsoft SQL Server Database Administration Course
Microsoft SQL Server continues to be one of the world’s most popular and top databases. Database is a heart of IT which is needed to stored all critical data and information. If you want to become SQL database administrator then this is the course for YOU. This training course will provide you all the necessary skills you need to be a successful database administrator. Plus, this course will prepare you for the SQL Server MCSA certification.
- By the end of this course you will be a professional SQL database administrator and be able to apply for SQL jobs
- Administration of SQL database through Microsoft Windows
- You will learn 150+ SQL queries
- You will be able to troubleshoot everyday SQL related issues
- You will manage SQL servers in a corporate environment
- You will write basic to advance SQL queries
- Troubleshoot everyday SQL database related issues
- Know how to answer specific business questions by using SQL’s aggregate functions
- Students will be able to run reports for management so they can make financial decisions
Course Duration: 31 hours
10. Oracle SQL Databases Specialization
This Specialization is intended for beginners to learn how to become proficient writing Oracle SQL code to create, modify, and edit Oracle SQL Databases. You will learn the Oracle database foundations, explore the platform, try your hand at the basics, and become proficient at building and modifying databases.
- Learn how to create Oracle SQL Databases
- Understand how to insert, modify, and delete from Oracle SQL Databases
Course Duration: 2 months (4 hours/week)
11. MongoDB Database Developer Course in Python
In the evolving technology industry, data has become “King”. Whether you are running a simple ecommerce website or trying to train complex neural network models, the skills to manage large amounts of data in your software applications are constantly growing in demand. So to rise to the challenge, this course we will cover the powerful features of the MongoDB database using the Python programming language. Whether you are a complete beginner to databases, or wanting to learn how to optimize your current dataset, this course has something for anyone looking to learn more about managing datasets in MongoDB within their Python applications.
Whether you are a aspiring App Developer, or a Big-Data Enthusiast. You will come to find the features in MongoDB will help expedite your projects’ data management. The growing popularity of NoSQL applications make Mongo DB one of the best frameworks to learn.
- Learn general knowledge about using databases with your applications
- Learn about the features available in MongoDB
- Learn how to create Python applications to interact with your own MongoDB Database
- Learn system administration concepts for managing and scaling your MongoDB systems
Course Duration: 9 hours
12. Using Databases with Python
This course will introduce students to the basics of the Structured Query Language (SQL) as well as basic database design for storing data as part of a multi-step data gathering, analysis, and processing effort. The course will use SQLite3 as its database. We will also build web crawlers and multi-step data gathering and visualization processes. We will use the D3.js library to do basic data visualization. This course will cover Chapters 14-15 of the book “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-13 of the textbook and the first three courses in this specialization. This course covers Python 3.
- Use the Create, Read, Update, and Delete operations to manage databases
- Explain the basics of Object Oriented Python
- Understand how data is stored across multiple tables in a database
- Utilize the Google Maps API to visualize data
Course Duration: 14 hours