Contract management is the process of managing legally-binding agreements from initiation through to execution. Activities involved can be administrative and strategic – depending on who handles which stage. Effective contract management helps businesses to improve outcomes and realise maximum value from their agreements.
List of The Best Contract Management Online Courses
1. Contracts Management in Construction Projects
Every construction project is bound by a Contract. Proper Contract Management plays a major role in the effective management of your construction projects. Adhering to all the Contractual obligations, the terms and conditions can save both cost and time. There are a few standard Contract Forms that is followed in a Construction project mainly FIDIC (International Federation of Consulting Engineers), NRM (New Rules of Measurement), JCT (The Joint Contracts Tribunal). The procedures to commence work, the documents required at each stage of the project, variation procedures, payment terms, basis for termination and suspension of works by either parties, completion of work, roles and responsibilities of all the stakeholders and their staffs, dispute resolution methods, Arbitration procedures etc are all mentioned in the contract.
- The Different Contracting Arrangements utilized in different types of construction projects.
- FIDIC Red Book Timelines. A thirty-minute lecture contains the entire FIDIC Conditions of Contract for Construction for Building and Engineering Works timelines that needs to be adhered in the construction works.
- Helpful tips & step by step procedure on how to draft a contractual letter.
- The Different Bank Guarantees in Construction Projects
Course Duration: 1.5 hours
2. The Role And Responsibilities of The Contracts Manager
This interactive programme will examine the contract after it has been signed and has to be implemented as written and will focus on giving you the necessary knowledge, tools and processes to be able to read and review contracts. It will also give you the understanding and skills to communicate to others, internally and externally, the ‘as sold’ contract meaning to ensure that all promises are completed and that all parties remain within the protection of the legal agreement and are aware of the possible risks, liabilities and consequences if promises are broken.
- Boost your knowledge to understand and manage the legal obligations and requirements set out in the contract
- Inject you and your project team with the energy to fulfil your obligations and ensure an effective working relationship with stakeholders
- Anticipate where potential risks may arise and proactively manage them to minimise, or neutralise, their impact on the project
- Deliver a toolkit of best practice techniques to use successfully on your next project
Course Duration: 2 days
3. Introduction to Contract Management
Contracts are the lifeblood of most businesses in the private and public sector. Yet many people sign them without really knowing what they mean or having an understanding of what elements the contract must have to be considered a proper and valid contract. Understanding common terms used, the structure and being able to prepare good contracts are core skills for everyone involved in procuring good and services from business owners and project managers to admin staff.
- This course provides an overview of contract management
- Understand the building blocks of contracts
- Identify the key elements involved in contract formation
- Demonstrate an understanding of common contract terms and conditions
- Gain continuing professional development points with the presentation of your completion certificate to organisations such as CIPS.
Course Duration: 3.5 hours
4. Contract Management: Managing Contractual Risks
This course is designed to enable you to examine the nature of contract risk and the associated legal implications that relate to contract formation and non-conformance. Most business agreements are as a result of back-and-forth negotiations. The real challenge is in knowing the risks that come with this process. You see when you define a business agreement, a.k.a, a contract as legally binding, the real question is what exactly did you agree to that is supposed to be legally binding and what will you do if the other party doesn’t keep their end of the legally binding agreement. On completion of this Contract management (managing contractual risks) course you will be in a position to evaluate the legal and process and issues relating to the formation of contracts and the legal implications of contractual nonconformance.
- Understand the legal and process issues relating to the formation of contracts
- Analyse the different levels of breach of contract and their impact
- Understand aspects to consider when making changes to contracts
Course Duration: 2.1 hours
5. Drafting of Commercial Contracts
Legal Professionals are required to be well versed with the drafting techniques and expertise to foresee the risk and handle it in the best interest of their organizations.
This masterclass will introduce you to the lifecycle of typical commercial transactions followed by focused learning on drafting and analyzing critical provisions in commercial agreements and will guide you to improve your negotiating skills. This training will also train you to advise your client to reduce exposure and avoid litigation by being fully conversant with the knowledge, skills, and strategies in ensuring that the contracts are well negotiated, properly drafted, and managed.
- Understanding of the typical life cycle of corporate transactions
- Learn to draft watertight commercial contracts
- Managing breach and termination of contracts
- Drafting and negotiating alternative dispute resolution clauses
- Effective risk control measures to minimize legal exposure and avoid disputes
Course Duration: 4 hours
6. Commercial And Contract Law
An understanding of commercial and contract law is crucial to doing business in South Africa. Commercial law focuses on the purchase and sale of goods and services, including intangible entities such as intellectual property rights. Contract law, on the other hand, underpins private enterprises and provides the legal framework within which people and legal entities transact and exchange resources.
This online course from the University of Cape Town (UCT) will provide you with an overview of the South African legal system, an introduction to contract law, and a nuanced understanding of the Consumer Protection Act. You’ll learn the requirements of contractual validity, as well as the obligations and terms of a contract. Develop the skills and knowledge to recognise, address, and offer solutions to problematic areas in contracts. You’ll avoid expensive mistakes and be able to negotiate better results for your company, in your personal life, or for your clients.
This online short course is suitable for anyone working with contracts in the business world, as the knowledge gained can be applied across a wide range of sectors and professions. Bankers, insurance brokers, asset managers, publishers, employment agents, and business owners will all benefit from exploring the legal frameworks that shape the way organisations operate in South Africa.
- This course can help paralegals broaden their legal knowledge
- Gain the skills to read, interpret, and draft commercial contracts.
- Ensure business leaders and managers understand what contractual decision-making entails
- Allowing professionals to add further value to their existing role through an up-to-date knowledge of the commercial legal landscape.
Course Duration: 9 weeks (10-12 hours/week)
7. Contract Management: Building Relationships in Business
In this course, you will learn how your objectives and those of your customer/client can be achieved in an effective way to minimise possible threats or failures. In this course, we’ll explore relationship fundamentals and complexities that relate to business contracts. The final part of the course will bring the above ideas together, using an example scenario (the challenge of building your own house) to put theory into practice.
- Commercial relationships and the pitfalls to avoid in contracting
- The rules and regulations that govern business, trade and public procurement and how this can affect behaviour
- Understanding customers and designing a business case and subsequent delivery and support system around their needs
- Contracts exist in chains and networks. Managing interdependency and business relationships
- Ensuring that stakeholders are engaged
- The role of negotiation and how to be in the best position to make Win-Win negotiations a reality
Course Duration:3 weeks (3 hours/week)
8. Creating Effective Contracts
In this course, you will gain the tools you need to navigate legal contracts. You will spend time exploring various bodies of law, breaking down the elements necessary for an enforceable contract and recognizing opportunities to avoid the inadvertent creation of enforceable contractual obligations. Though this course does not teach you how to become a lawyer, it will enable you to become a better “client” to lawyers in your legal department or outside counsel. By the end of this course, you will become more skilled at recognizing possible legal issues at an early stage in order to avoid future contractual disputes.
- Distinguish among the various bodies of law that govern contracts
- Identify the essential elements necessary for an enforceable contract, anticipate challenges, and recognize barriers to enforceability
- Identify how to avoid the inadvertent creation of enforceable contractual obligations
Course Duration: 2 weeks (3-5 hours)
9. Essentials of Commercial Contract Management
The Essentials of Commercial Contract Management course deals with some of the most integral contract management topics taught by industry experts. Topics covered include applying Agile methodology to contract management processes, basic elements and formation, as well as contract performance, dispute resolution and intellectual property. The course also examines in detail the Uniform Commercial Code as it relates to basic contract law to help students who engage in commercial transactions understand its applicability. This online course gives you the tools to understand the entire procurement process – from contract definitions and source selection to contract management and administration.
- Explain the offer process and what qualified as the terms of the offer
- Describe the requirements for acceptance
- Explain the formation of a contract and Good Faith Purchasers
- Define the role of Performance, Breach, and Remedies
Course Duration: 8 hours
10. Supplier Management
This course will cover Supplier Selection and Evaluation, Contract Management, Quality & Risk Management, and Ethics.
One of the important decisions that a Procurement professional makes is selecting the right supplier. We will cover how to evaluate suppliers, using a very simple evaluation tool, to select the right suppliers. In contract management, we will expose you to six different types of contracts that a procurement professional can consider for the contract. We will highlight 10 risk management strategies that will mitigate risks for your firm. Lastly, we will cover the very important topic of procurement ethics-what to do and not to do in ethically dealing with suppliers.
- Learn how to select and evaluate suppliers
- Review various types of contracts, where they should be used and the advantages and disadvantages
- Understand how to mitigate risks
- Understand some key ethical considerations in procurement
Course Duration: 8 hours
11. Complete Contract Management Bootcamp: Zero to Hero
A comprehensive course on post-award contract management. It includes 92 lectures delivered under 14 sections. It only takes around 6 hours, and every lecture video is approx. 3-5 minutes. Only the good stuff. No lengthy and theoretical explanations. Practical information based on experience gained through small to large real-life projects. This course will make you more confident in managing the whole spectrum of post-award contracts and commercial management. The course will be very helpful also for those who plan to make a career change to managing contracts and subcontracts. Experienced professionals can also benefit from this course to refresh their existing contract and commercial management skills.
- Learn post-award contract management processes in a single course
- Write effective contractual letters and business emails
- Compare different types of claims in a project like acceleration, disruption, and extension of time.
- Compare the key concepts like Pre-Contract vs Post-Contract, Main Contract vs Subcontract, JV vs Consortium
- Access the full text of a typical Joint Venture Agreement and General Services Agreement
- Develop your own contract management responsibilities matrix. Solve “who does what” problem in your project
Course Duration: 5.5 hours
12. Interpreting Contracts
In this course, you will explore how contract disputes arise as well as how and by whom they are resolved — an important starting point. You will become familiar with rules of construction that courts use when interpreting contracts and when courts infer terms — or fill the gaps — in contracts. You’ll then redraft ambiguous language to promote clarity. This knowledge will put you in a better position to avoid unintended consequences of contractual provisions and ensure that your contracts reflect the business objectives they’re designed to achieve.
- Understand how to avoid unintended consequences of contractual provisions
- Recognize general rules of construction that courts apply when interpreting contracts
- Draft contractual language with clarity to avoid future disputes
Course Duration: 2 weeks (3-5 hours/week)
13. How to Draft, Review and Negotiate Contracts
In this course, we take you through the contract drafting, negotiation and reviewing process. After you have completed the course, you should have a good understanding of how contracts are formed and more importantly how you can draft, review or negotiate a contract. This course walks you through various contracts and what you need to keep in mind during drafting or reviewing a contract. Not only you are taught what you need to know about drafting exceptional contracts, the sample template and worked out solutions will help you create your own agreements.
- Draft various Kinds of Contracts
- Review Contracts and Understand the clauses in a contract
- Understand the important elements of a valid contract
- Negotiate a contract for mutual benefit
- Know the rights words to use in a contract
Course Duration: 1 hour