Community service may be simply understood as a non-paying work performed by an individual or a group of individuals for the betterment of their community. Community services are often mistaken to be only a volunteering activity, but it is important to note that it isn’t always voluntary and may be undertaken for other reasons.
Community services online courses should be taken up by students especially because it helps them to acquire life skills and knowledge, as well as help the needy. It is amazing to note that the percentage of people engaging themselves in community services has almost doubled up from 34% in 2006 to 67% in 2014. A survey found that over 71% of volunteers work with only one organization in a year and serve nearly 50 hours doing greater good each year.
If you too are motivated to serve the community and contribute to wellbeing by providing community services, here are few top courses you can’t miss.
List of 10 Best Community Services Online Courses and Certifications
1. Global Public Health – EdX
This course on global public health explores the aspects that constitute health and healthcare as a sector. Specialists from the Public Health Foundation of India, through this course, focus on health in local communities as well as in the world at large. Health is one of the key elements of community services. Enroll in this course and learn about how health affects other social issues in the community, both positively and negatively. Also, get to know how the environment influences health.
Course Highlights –
- Get introduced to Public health and know its history.
- Learn about the various determinants of health and how health status is measured.
- Know how the public healthcare has evolved over time.
- Understand the current trends of industry and how it is helping as a community service.
- Know how healthcare has established as an industry and how its face is changing with advanced infrastructure of institutions.
- Understand what is the concept of collective wellness and how has it shaped up in the recent past.
Duration – 10 weeks
Rating – 4.2/5
2. Assessing and Improving Community Health – Coursera
This course is offered by the University of Michigan. It provides an overview of public health, one of the fundamentals of community service. Learn about community health needs assessment, its components, and how it works. If you wish to learn about the field of population health and take up supplementary coursework, then you can enroll in this online course and earn a shareable certificate.
- Learn the fundamental components of assessing community health needs and how this evaluation will improve public health.
- Understand how population health assessment differs for healthcare and public health.
- Learn how the key indicators of health can be identified for the determinants of health and mental wellness.
- Make observations about the evolution of health trends and communities across time and develop strategies for community health improvement.
Duration – 15 hours
Rating – 4.5/5
3. Diploma of Community Services – UpSkilled
This online diploma course on community services will help you acquire special skills to work in the industry. This course covers all the concepts in detail and provides insights into how is it to work with people from different backgrounds. Take up this course and improve your knowledge about the tools of community services. In order to enroll yourself in this program, you must have completed year 12 or equivalent, or, a qualification at Certificate IV level or higher, or 4 years of relevant industry experience.
- Gain knowledge on how to become a compassionate and ethical community service worker and learn how to coordinate complex case requirements.
- Learn how to undertake projects, manage budget and formulate community development strategies.
- Learn skills that will be helpful across different work situations and be prepared for a wide range of job roles in this sector.
- Develop personal skills like cultural sensitivity, complex problem-solving and conflict resolution, and the ability to work autonomously.
Duration – Up to 24 months
Rating – 4.5/5
4. Indigenous Peoples’ Rights – EdX
This course focuses on the forsaken yet integral part of our community, the indigenous people. Despite them being so culturally rich and representing a diverse group, they still do not have their rights in place. This course explores one of the revolutionary movements- the Indigenous Peoples’ Movement and offers an enriching learning experience.
- Learn about the efforts of indigenous people to reshape the international norms by moving across the globe.
- Know how these people are working with the UN for their rights.
- Know about the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People.
- Understand how indigenous people have significantly contributed towards contemporary debates on diverse topics through the concepts of their rights.
Duration –10 weeks
Rating – 4/5
5. Protecting Children in Humanitarian Settings – EdX
This course explores the impact of social environments, family, and community on a child’s development. It aims at strengthening child protection ways by using their learning in a practical scenario. Analyze the present international child protection plans and know more about them. If you are a child protection practitioner or intending to be one or are interested in learning more and work globally, then you should take up this course.
- Understand how the well-being of children is getting affected by humanitarian issues.
- Get introduced to humanitarian child protection, science behind it, and other associated theories like, child development, etc.
- Learn how to come up with different ways of protecting children in situations of crisis and work towards bringing reforms.
- Understand child development and protection, risks associated with them, factors influencing them, etc.
- Know why community service in field of child development and care is so crucial.
Duration – 12 weeks
Rating – 4.2/5
6. Social Work Practice: Advocating Social Justice and Change – Coursera
The University of Michigan offers this online certificate course on social work. This course covers efforts put in by social workers to bring a change and supporting families and communities. Enroll in this course now to earn a shareable certificate after completing the course at your own pace.
- Explore social work as a profession, and understand its different roles.
- Know what is the history behind this and what are the overlapping themes guiding social work.
- Understand the current challenges being faced by families, communities, and individuals.
- Encourage the need for necessary changes to be brought in social work.
Duration –12 hours
Rating – 4.5/5
7. Becoming a Changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation- Coursera
The University of Capetown offers this course which explores complex but common problems we’re surrounded with. With the help of numerous examples, this course covers different social innovations taking place around the globe and debunks common assumptions. This six-week-long online course is sure to take you out of your comfort zone. If you’re someone just starting out, or someone already familiar with social innovation and entrepreneurship, this course is worth your time.
- Know how you can use innovative and comprehensive technology to empower the youth.
- Understand the importance of teaching essential skills, supporting, and giving a community kind environment.
- Support and learn from the initiatives taken by, let’s say, top business schools, dedicated at social innovation.
- Learn how you can form an approach and mindset of community and youth, and evolve as a changemaker.
Duration – 20 hours
Rating – 4/5
8. Early Childhood Development: Global Strategies for Implementation – EdX
This course focuses on determining best practices and strategies in child and family policies that support early childhood development. Beginning with a study and review of the basic concepts of early development from across the globe this course also analyzes why some programs perform less than others. This course will not only strengthen your understanding of the topic but also give you new perspectives from other learners.
- Know about early childhood development and the state of the science.
- Know what components can make your program successful in encouraging early childhood development efforts.
- Analyze your previous programs to identify why some programs failed and learn from them.
- Understand what needs to be prioritized while designing successful interventions.
- Formulate such strategies that make your quality programming easily adaptable and widespread.
Duration – 7 weeks
Rating – 4.2/5
9. Certificate III in Community Services – UpSkilled
This certificate is a junior qualification in the wide community services field that teaches you how to help individuals through person-centered services. This course is really helpful for people having the zeal to help others by providing community services. This program is offered in the online mode and is a recognized training course. To enroll in this course, you must have completed year 10, or equivalent, or have a qualification at Certificate II level or higher, or 2 years of relevant industry experience.
- Gain knowledge and know how to work in roles that provide routine support to people in community settings or direct community contact.
- Know how you can actually help an organization establish community-based programs.
- Learn how a stable and community-minded sector works.
- Learn how to support and assist people after hearing their problems out.
- Learn how support systems and networks can be implemented, and plans addressing clients’ immediate and long term needs can be developed.
Duration – Up to 18 months
Rating – 4.5/5
10. Community Engagement: Collaborating for Change- EdX
This course is designed to offer an introduction to elementary topics of community services as well as take you to a point where you can learn further or pursue work. It is designed to be both interesting and challenging by the team of U-Mcontent faculty and experts. After taking this course you’re sure to develop effective community engagement skills and work effectively within the community.
- Learn the importance and value of community context and expertise.
- Know how our interactions get affected by social power, identity, and privileges.
- Learn how community-engaged projects and programs can be effectively managed.
- Learn transitioning in and out of communities.
Duration – 6 weeks
Rating – 4.2/5
Recommended: The Importance of Community Service