Kids. You never know what is going on in their minds. But suppose what if you could? Child psychology is one such field that provides an opportunity to understand how the mind of a child works. Today, children as young as 3 are suffering from disorders such as anxiety and depression. And with the shutdown of the world due to a pandemic, there has been a substantial increase in the number of disorders among children. According to the data recorded by UNICEF, 1 in every 7 children has suffered from depression in the lockdown due to COVID-19. Let’s learn more about child psychology online courses.
In such grave times, it is important to understand and empathise with young minds in a very healthy and comforting manner. And to achieve that, it is important to know what goes through a young child’s mind. The internet has a lot to offer to all those who are seeking guidance and training in child psychology.
List of best Child Psychology Online Courses and Certificate Programs
We have researched and noted down the best and most informative courses accessible. Have a look. We hope you find it useful.
1. Introduction to Child Psychology – ACCREDITED CERTIFICATE – Udemy
Are you interested in knowing why a child behaves the way he or she behaves? This course provides an answer to this question in a very extensive and informative manner. The main perks of this course are 2 hours of on-demand video, 1 article, 6 downloadable resources, full lifetime access which can be easily watched on mobile and TV, and a certificate of completion. The certificate will be provided after the participants have completed it. There are no requirements for attending this course, other than having a background in psychology and knowing the basic psychological terms. Want to know more about child psychology online courses, let’s begin.
- Gain insights into the various parenting styles and how they affect a child
- Become aware of how children make and form relationships
- Know about the meaning and scope of child psychology
- Examine the various theories and approaches to understanding child psychology
- Understand the cognitive development of a child
- Learn what counselling therapy offers to children
Course Duration: 2 hours
2. Introduction to Child Psychology – Open University Online
The Open University has provided an opportunity to all those people who want to learn about child psychology through an online self-paced course. This course answers the key questions that an individual might come across in understanding The physical and cognitive changes during childhood. Through various interactive activities and audiovisual materials this course promises to guide individuals in understanding the key features of childhood psychology. After registering for the course you will be given access to the course materials and a statement of participation after completing the course.
- What is the scope and meaning of child psychology as an area of study
- Go through theories to explain childhood development
- Get answers to the questions that are central to child psychology
- Learn about the various child psychologist in applied settings
- Maximise your knowledge through various engaging activities
- Understand the role of an educational psychologist in child psychology
Course Duration: 8 hours
3. ADHD: Everyday Strategies for Elementary Students – Coursera
The University at Buffalo has provided an online self-learning course on ADHD to make people aware of this psychological problem among children. The key objective of this course is to make people aware of this problem and the diagnosis and treatment of the same. It follows two evidence-based treatment approaches would you go into the details with the help of a licensed professional? This course on Coursera explores the skills of communication, planning, teaching etc. Shareable certificates and fixing deadlines in accordance with your schedule are the main advantages of this course.
- Know what is attention-deficient/hyperactivity disorder
- Understand the various methods used for diagnosing ADHD and its planning treatment
- Study in detail the school-based treatment approach and the daily report card
- Develop your parenting strategies for supporting youth with ADHD
- Learn about topics and subtopics concerning the validity of ADHD research
- Create your strategies to help and assist children with ADHD
Course Duration: 8 hours
4. Child Psychology Certification Course: Aggression Prevention – Udemy
This is a child psychology online course available on Udemy. Budding as well as professional psychologists, psychiatrists, teachers, social workers, medical practitioners, nurses, and parents can take up this course and dig deep into this problem of aggressive behaviour among growing children. Get familiar with the characteristics of aggression its types and the factors that provoke aggressive behaviour. 8 downloadable materials which can be used for diagnostic purposes and a certificate of completion will be provided to all the students who register for this course.
- Understand what is meant by aggression
- Know the types of aggressive children
- Examine the factors contributing to violent behaviour in a child
- Identify the signs of recognition of the victim of violence
- Explore the guidance strategies given to teachers and parents
- Learn about the conceptual models to prevent and deal with aggressive and problematic behaviour
Course Duration: 1 hour
5. Psychological First Aid: Supporting Children and Young People – FutureLearn
Future Learn has provided an online course on child psychology by covering a very interesting and important topic of supporting children and young people through psychological first aid. Contribute to society by engaging in this course to learn about psychosocial support during emergencies. This is a self-guided course that teaches about the PFA approach to the front line and essential workers, volunteers, parents, teachers and all the people who come in contact with children or young adults.
- Know what is psychological first aid
- Get familiar with how children and young adults respond to emergencies and crises
- Identify the ways to take care of yourself and your near ones in case of an emergency
- Understand the key features of psychological first aid
- Become aware of the ways to tackle people who get distraught
- Recognise people’s cultural preferences and needs
Course Duration: 3 weeks
6. Motivating Gen Z Learners: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know – Coursera
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore has designed, organised and executed a Child psychology online course on Coursera. There are many child psychology online courses but this course guarantees in making you master the skills of motivation, education, different learning styles, teaching philosophy and positive education. A complete beginner’s course is available in as many as nine languages including French, Portuguese, Italian, Vietnamese, German, Russian, English, Spanish, and Arabic. A certificate of completion will be provided to enhance your resume.
- Discover the key motivational concepts for motivation
- Explore the behavioural approach to motivation
- Identify the various attributes that influence our motivation
- Learn how motivation is a critical aspect of child psychology
- Develop a concept to change our mindsets
- Relate all of the learned concepts to self-regulated learning
Course Duration: 8 hours
7. Coping with Changes: Social-Emotional Learning Through Play – FutureLearn
Discover mental health and psychological support and SEL strategies through this online self-regulated course available on FutureLearn. There are many child psychology online courses but this course will help you come across the various stress management strategies to help overcome the potential long-term effects of the crisis on a child’s social, emotional, and cognitive development. This course has been made by keeping in mind the caregivers and teachers of infants and young people. However, anybody who is keen to know about coping with changes is welcome to take this course.
- Learn about the building blocks of learning through play
- Realise the importance of MHPSS / SEL in crisis
- See the demonstration of mitigation strategies
- Recognise the concept of adult well-being and why it is important
- Discover as well as develop stress management strategies
- Apply the strategies and approaches learnt in a practical manner
Course Duration: 9 weeks
8. Child Psychology; Neuroscience and Development for Parents – Udemy
All those who are interested in knowing why and how a child behaves or what goes on in his or her mind can and should take this online self-learning course on child psychology. There are many child psychology online courses but, understanding the developmental psychology of a child and how a parent knowingly and unknowingly influences a child’s behaviour are the core aspects discussed in this e-learning course. One downloadable resource, one article, various assignments and a certificate of completion are the highlights of this course.
- Learn through different theories to raise a well-adjusted and healthy child
- Brush up your parenting styles
- Become aware of the impact that hormones have on development and behaviour
- Learn about the approach of operant conditioning and how to utilise it
- Get familiar with the concept of linguistic curing and how a parent can utilise it
- Know the factors which influence the behaviour of a child
Course Duration: 1.5 hours
9. Youth Mental Health: Supporting Young People Using a Trauma-Informed Practice – FutureLearn
Another course on childhood psychology is available on FutureLearn, There are many child psychology online courses but this course takes a different note by teaching the supportive skills of a counsellor, youth worker and mental health professional to aid and assist young people dealing with emotional and mental well-being. This is a short duration course which can be attended according to your own pace. There are no requirements for signing up for this course and anybody who is interested in finding out about this topic or is going through a difficult period can opt for this course.
- Discover what a PEPTALK is and why is it necessary
- Examine how adverse childhood experiences affect an individual
- Investigate the impact of physical health on the mental health of an individual
- Explore how peer relationships play a significant role in a child’s life
- Identify the importance of emotional well-being for the overall development of a child or a young adult
- Develop strategies to help young people remain positive during times of stress
Course Duration: 2 weeks
10. Resilience in Children Exposed to Trauma, Disaster and War: Global Perspectives – Coursera
The University of Minnesota has provided an opportunity for children and young adults to overcome hazardous experiences and succeed in life. This course aims at educating individuals on the core concepts of resilience, its research, its methods, and how it is being applied in the real world. Side-by-side contribute your bit to society by promoting resilience and engaging in discussions with others. Attend this course from the comfort of your home and get information on the importance of fostering resilience in children at risk
- Learn about the origins and landmark studies in the science of resilience in children
- Discover resilience in books and films
- Study in detail through optional videos provided by learned instructors
- Recognise the methods and models of research on resilience
- Realise the harmful effects of disasters on children
- Identify threats to child development and come up with solutions to overcome this
Course Duration: 20 hours
11. Child Psychology & Development – Udemy
Udemy has offered a child psychology online course that goes into the intricacies involved in the psychology and development of a child. This course serves the purpose of an introduction to human psychology and psychoanalysis. This course is especially aimed at people who deal with children or are interested in this particular branch of psychology. If you are looking for an information guide on child development and psychology, this is one of the best offered on an online platform.
- Refine your skills in child psychology and development
- Expand your horizon by learning about various approaches to child psychology
- Get familiar with the thinking, learning, and general abilities of children
- Recognise the milestones in a child’s life
- Discover the physical growth, development, and health achieved by kids
- Become aware of the cognitive growth and mental approach of a kid or young adult
Course Duration: 2 hours
12. Getting Care Right for All Children: Implementing the UN Guidelines for the Alternative Care of Children – FutureLearn
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow and the CELCIS have collaborated in designing a course on child psychology and its relation with the UN guidelines for alternative care for children. This course mainly emphasises the guidelines provided by the UN to help children gain support and care during problems such as losing parental care, experiencing a traumatic incident et cetera. This course is ideal for practitioners and policymakers, social workers, community leaders, psychologists and the general public who is curious and willing to help children in need.
- Get familiar with the UN guidelines for the alternative care of children
- Understand the concepts of necessity and sustainability in child development
- Become conscious of the policy requirements for the implementation of UN guidelines for the alternative care of children
- Realise the importance of the concept of gatekeeping
- Identify the good practices to prevent family separation and provide sustainable alternative care
- Brush up your skills in knowing about the deinstitutionalisation
Course Duration: 6 weeks
13. Managing ADHD, Autism, Learning Disabilities, and Concussion in School – Coursera
The University of Colorado has made an effort to reach out to people seeking information on how to manage children with ADHD, autism, learning disabilities et cetera. Learned professionals will throw light on subjects including ways to identify disorders, tackle children with such disorders and learn about the concussion and symptoms that children experience. This course includes various quizzes, assignments and readings to make the taker of the course an experience of an actual classroom. A shareable certificate will also be included in the course.
- Have a deeper understanding of ADHD
- Learn ways of diagnosing these disorders
- Review high-level treatment therapy and intervention programmes
- Find out the effects of autism spectrum disorder on children’s social communication skills
- Explore the symptoms of learning disorders and disabilities
- Examine the impact of concussion on a child’s physical, mental, and emotional health
Course Duration: 9 hours
14. Child Psychology: Certified Online by PhD İlbey UÇAR – Udemy
This course is for all parents, teachers, students, psychologists, special educators, and professionals who find it necessary to know about child psychology. This branch of psychology focuses on the mind and behaviour of children from the prenatal adolescent age and this particular course explores the role of various environments in the development of a child. It also addresses many of the questions that have been the topic of debate by many experts. This is the highest-rated course in child psychology on Udemy and is a must-take if you are genuinely interested in this field.
- Discover the impact of the social environment on child psychology
- Learn about the effects of community and society on child psychology
- Become conscious of the building blocks of child psychology
- Identify the various environmental factors in child psychology
- Know about the theoretical foundations and literary information in child psychology
- Examine how peer groups affect a child’s mind
Course Duration: 2 hours
15. Child Psychology and Development: From Baby to Teen – Udemy
This is one course that explores the full development of a child from the first years to adulthood. Improve and enhance your parenting and teaching skills, through this child’s psychology and development self-paced course. Quizzes at the end of each module, easy accessibility on mobile, laptop and TV and a certificate of participation at the end of the programme are some of the many beneficial factors of this course. The only requirement for attending this course is the willingness to learn and enrich your knowledge in the field of child psychology.
- Grasp the concept of child development and psychology
- Discover how young children develop and enhance their social skills
- Learn how children can express their emotions
- Develop an understanding of how children create a relationship with adults
- Examine the milestones in the life of a kid
- Gain insights into how children manage their emotions
Course Duration: 1 hour