Always dreamed of joining a Big Business school?
Your dreams are about to come true because GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) is the first step towards entering a business school.
It is your go-to admission test into any top rated Business schools which offer graduate management programs like MBA, Masters in Finance, etc.
Why take GMAT?
- It is a computer-adaptive test i.e. online test where you can showcase your verbal skills, reading skills, writing skills, analytical skills, quantitative skills, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- You can analyse your performance and abilities through GMAT.
- Many top colleges and business programs consider GMAT scores for admissions.
- You can take the exam when you are ready for it and it is available all around the world.
GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council) conducts tests for admissions for more than 5,900 programs offered by 2,100 colleges and has managed exams in 112 nations around the world.
Note: For EMBA (Executive MBA) applicants, GMAC has recently introduced and specially designed a new mini GMAT called Executive Assessment Exam which tests the candidates analytical and logical thinking. The exam is considerably for a shorter duration and is more suited for the Executive MBA course.
Now you know why GMAT plays a pivotal role in making your dreams come true.
GAMT Test in Detail
Going through exam information will make sure that the even small details are not left out and also you get the entire picture of what you are dealing with.
- It is a standardized management test which is taken online and offline.
- Being a computer-adaptive test, the student gets one question at a time and depending on the correctness of the answer, the difficulty level of the next question is determined.
- The registration for GMAT can be done throughout the year but students should also keep in mind the availability of dates and centres for the test.
- The fee for taking GMAT is USD 250.
- Top universities in abroad accept a score of 710 and average universities accept 600. The score can be known after three weeks of the test.
- GMAT score can be checked on the official website i.e. gmac.com
That must have been a lot to take in right? No worries because as you read on, your doubts regarding GMAT will be cleared.
GMAT Test Pattern
Knowledge of the test pattern is important because you can prepare accordingly to the areas you are weak or perfect in. So let us know the nitty gritty of the test pattern.
- It consists of 91 questions which are divided into 4 sections, i.e.
- Analytical Writing Assessment
- Integrated Reasoning
- Analytical Writing Assessment is designed to judge the test taker’s ability to analyze and predict reason behind a given argument. It consists of 1 question and the student will have 30 minutes to solve it.
- Integrated Reasoning consists of 12 questions to be solved in 30 minutes. The questions consist of Multi-Source Reasoning, Graphics Interpretation, Two-Part Analysis and Table Analysis.
- Quantitative section consists of 37 questions to be solved in 75 minutes. The questions consist of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving.
- Verbal section consists of 41 questions to be solved in 75 minutes. The questions consist of Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning and Sentence Correction.
- The exam should be completed in a time span of 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- 10 points of increment are given in GMAT scores, for example, 560, 570, 580, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for GMAT
Every exam has some eligibility criteria, so below are the important eligibility criteria to be followed by each and every candidate who is attempting GMAT
- Nationality is not a limiting factor in taking the admission test. A person belonging to any nationality can take the admission test.
- The institutes considering GMAT will have different academic qualification regarding admission but the minimum academic qualification is a graduate degree from a recognized institute.
- A candidate must be 18 years old to apply for GMAT and in case the candidate’s age is between 13-17 years, he has to provide a written proof of the guardian’s consent in taking the test.
- Appearing for GMAT is limited up to five times over a period of 12 months. But the student cannot write the exam more than once in a month.
- If a candidate wants to take the GMAT exam again, the previous GMAT exam score should be 800, and he should wait for at least five years to take the exam again.
Hold on! Your quest for knowledge about GMAT does not end here. Below are the key highlights which you need to keep in mind.
Key Highlights on GMAT
- GMAT has recently announced Select Section Order which gives the students provision and flexibility to select the section order in which they are most comfortable in taking the exam.
- It is ideal to register yourself two to three months before the exam date.
- Follow good GMAT books along with study materials. Be always motivated and self-disciplined. If time is a constraint, you can always join a coaching centre for GMAT.
- Students can use their GMAT score up to 5 years.